Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Contentment

I am desperately in need to developing some of this in my life right about now. On and off over the past few months, I keep finding myself in this yucky space of dissatisfaction, fear, anxiety and self doubt. I guess you could call it discontent. It isn't a place I enjoy being and it's a place I'd really like to learn to stay away from.  The Lord kind of thwacked me over the head this weekend and pointed it out to me as if to say this needs to change. I am grateful but I'm also at a loss. How does one learn to be content?

I'm kind of excited because usually when I realize one of my faults, I get overwhelmed and end up running away and not doing anything about it because I don't even know where to start. But this time I keep hearing the Lord speak to me. Stick with it. Study. Be honest about your struggle. Read my Word. So last night I told my pastor's wife and a couple other women I am in leadership with. I wasn't really planning to but I sort of just blurted it out. I felt very vulnerable but also very free. (And now I'm telling you all, whoever "you all" may be!) My pastor's wife immediately began quoting Philippians 4:12: “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." That is my heart's desire but how do I get there?

Today I came across this old devotion from Our Daily Bread:

"A poet once wrote: “As a rule, man’s a fool. When it’s hot, he wants it cool. And when it’s cool, he wants it hot. Always wanting what is not.”

What an insightful observation on human nature! So when we read in Philippians 4:11, “I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content” we wonder, Can this be possible?

For Paul it was. Philippians 4:12-13 describes Paul’s response to life: “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength” (NIV). Paul’s relationship with God superseded whatever he did or did not have. His contentment was not based on his circumstances, but on his relationship with Christ.

Paul reminds us that contentment doesn’t happen overnight. It’s something that we learn. As our relationship with God develops over time and through experiences, we learn to trust God more and ourselves less. Paul knew that Christ would give him the strength to persevere in whatever situation he encountered (v.13).

No matter what you’re facing today, through prayer you can receive the strength to be content."

My contentment is not based on my circumstances but rather on my relationship with Christ (praise God!) This is my take away snippet for today. On that note, any other nuggets of wisdom from you readers who might be more mature in this area than I? How have you learned to be content?

No comments:

Post a Comment