Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Santa Barbara

Because we felt like we hadn't done quite enough traveling yet this year (NOT!), Graham and I decided to make one last trip in 2010, this time alone. Our good friend Jeremy was having a 30th birthday bash in his college town of Santa Barbara and we weren't about to miss it, particularly since we'd only have to pay for airfare. Jeremy and his wife Rachel rented a gorgeous house right near the beach that the non-local guests stayed in.
  There was much eating, sand sports and sunbathing done by all and it was quite the merry time...with the exception of one evening. Let's just say I got to spend some time getting to know two lovely Santa Barbaran cops (who were a little rough around the edges, to put it nicely). I am happy to say though that still, to this day, Kelsie Crozier has a clean driving record (my canoeing record in the state of Texas on the other hand is a whole different story...)

After two nights with the gang, the rest of the group headed for home and Graham and I headed for the mountains (hills?) of the Santa Ynez Valley for some fabulous wine tasting. Our favorite stop by far was at Beckman Vineyards, whose Grenache was recently served by President Obama at a White House State Dinner.  
 We had a wonderful 24 hours, just the two of us while Isla spent time in Bellingham with her Grandma and Grandpa Wilson.
 We booked a hotel for our 3rd and final night away in downtown Santa Barbara. We invested a good 10-15 hours scrounging the internet in search of the perfect place at a perfectly discounted price. The latter was not to be had, but we definitely found the perfect place, The Canary Hotel. The decor was Spanish/Moroccan with dark hardwoods and bright blue and yellow accents mixed in with lovely green walls.
,
Check out the lights in our bathroom!
The rooftop deck/pool was breathtaking. I only wish we would have had more time to lounge!
We spent the evening strolling the shops on State St (including a consignment store where I found a steal of a dress coat that had never been worn!) followed by an incredible dinner at Bouchon. If ever you take a trip to SB and have a few pennies to spare, dine there for fabulous local fare!

It was so wonderful to spend some cherished moments alone with Graham before we flew back to the grind which we now find ourselves in. I missed Isla dearly but was quite pleased by my ability to leave her for a 4 day stretch (I was afraid I'd be a mess-I definitely was the night before we left!!) I think all the activity kept me healthfully distracted and we were able to Skype with her so that was quite fun. Watching her face light up with glee when our picture popped up on the screen warmed my heart! My parents practically begged us to go on a trip so Isla could spend some extended time with them which made it that much easier to go.

Muchas, muchas gracias to my parents for playing with Isla so we could getaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment