Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Emma: 15 Months

Have I mentioned that I just cannot get enough of this child right now?! I'm feeling the need to place myself strategically near some extra colicky babies, just for the sake of birth control because this girl is too cute and I'd clone her if I could.

At her 15 month appointment, she weighed 23 pounds, 4 ounces (50-75%ile) and measured 31 inches long (50-75%ile). Her head was 18.4 inches (50-75%ile). Her weight was in the 25%ile at her 9 month appointment so we're having no issues there! She eats more than the average adult female so if she keeps this up, we'll be making a quick transition to 2% milk!
 
Emma has such a fun personality. She's a people-person, entertainer and snuggler all in one. She is very social yet my gut tells me she's an introvert. She's very affectionate and loves to make you smile and laugh. If you sit on the floor, she'll be in your lap saying her sing-song "Hi" right in your face within seconds. She learned to blow kisses so often times she'll send one of those your way. And she's a goof! One day I walked into her room to find this:
I know I said last month that Emma officially began walking but now she's REALLY walking (as in finally choosing it over crawling) since November 20th. It's like she woke up that morning and said It's Tuesday. Let's do this! and boom, it's like she never crawled. I'm pretty sure she just waited until she knew she could fully succeed. Now there's no stopping her! Her favorite thing to do now is walk around carrying things such as a ukulele (which she sure is HERS), a water bottle, Kleenex, whatever she can get her hands on. She's become the ultimate multi-tasker is always doing something as she strolls: blowing her nose (which she perfected today), blowing kisses, or patting her belly (which one must always do when naked apparently).
Shortly after perfecting her walking skills, she figured out how to go from her hands and knees to a standing position (without using any furniture to assist). On November 28th, she climbed up on Isla's bed for the very first time. Cool!
 
Speaking of beds, the girls love to snuggle at bedtime. I've been tucking them both under Isla's covers for prayers and kisses (read: giggles and more giggles). It warms my heart every time! They adore each other though they have their moments (increasingly more so this month).
Emma started taking some really long naps this month (2 hours!) I think in preparation for the transition to one nap. If we have a morning activity, she can push through wearily and take one mid-day nap but as long as I can keep her on two naps, I'm gonna do it!
 
Isla is really into wrestling her sister. Emma is not always so keen on the idea and someone usually ends up crying. They have begun to fight and squawk a bit over toys and their personal bubbles. They play very well together at times but also enjoy their space. Emma knows how to push Isla's buttons and she does so liberally (and intentionally - the stinker!) Emma has also thrown her first tantrums this month. Ummmm, how did we get to this phase already!? And I'm talking, face-to-the-floor-crying tantrums. I often ignore her when she's throwing the fit and wait until she's calm. Sometimes when I come back to get her, she immediately resumes her position and begins screaming again as if to say I'll show her! Whoa. I'm the mother of two daughters alright!
Emma is SO smart! She understands pretty much everything I saw and will retrieve things or point to things when asked. She doesn't have a huge vocabulary yet but has started saying "Yeah" which I find ridiculously adorable.
 
Emma's separation anxiously has heightened. I mean as in I-can't-even-go-on-the-other-side-of-the-check-out-stand kind of heightened. She wails and bawls her eyes out every time we shop, that is, until I give her a banana. Bananas cover a multitude of wrongs in her world!
 
We've gone on a bit of a bread fast and, wouldn't you know it, her veggie intake is improving. Her favorites right now include kale chips and broccoli. I noticed a 4th tooth (upper right) today so that's making life a little easier in the chewing department! I finally got her to eat some cheese though she only does it when she's really hungry. She loves meat and also really likes mandarin oranges. And bananas. Did I mention bananas? Of course, she would eat only carbs if it weren't for her dietitian mother who insists on variety.
My youngest has taken to cleanliness (hallelujah!) Without any coaxing or training, I've caught her scrubbing the floor, walls and her cousin's belly on numerous occasions with a used Kleenx, a paper towels or toilet paper. She likes to do laundry too.
 
I'm pretty sure this is the BEST age because I am just loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment