Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Isla: 40 months

Oh my. When I look at this picture, there's nothing baby about her! All I see is a full-fledged little girl and I can hardly stand it. Isla has grown more and more affectionate and is frequently saying things like "Mommy, when we get to the restaurant I'm going to rub your back" or "Mommy, you are SO nice!" I also hear "I'll kiss it and make it better" a lot too.
 
She is very into pregnancy in recent weeks. She tells us often that she wants us to have one boy and one more girl so there can be 1-2-3 girls! She has started asking (Graham thankfully!) "How do babies get out of bellies?" and other such challenging questions. Thankfully I married a nurse and he just spouts off all the answers ever so scientifically. She is going to know her anatomy like no three year old ever has!
If we had to pick a theme phrase for our family, it would probably be: "That's ok. It'll dry!" The saying probably originated after one too many milk spills (and I'm sure I was saying it through gritted teeth) but it's really caught on, thanks to Isla, and we've found it to be applicable for most accidents. Bike crashes, bonked heads, spills, shattered glass, works of art accidentally used as grocery lists..... One quick "That's ok. It'll dry!" and we all know life can go on. 
Isla loves to do puzzles and has become quite good at them (no, she hasn't quite mastered these "adult" puzzles yet but she came them a good shot at!) She also really likes playing Candyland, even though I won one time.
I blame Christmas but our eldest has officially discovered candy! She has a sweet tooth just like the rest of 'em though she still says she doesn't like chocolate. She's my little baking pal and loves to help me cook, chop and taste.
Temperatures dropped significantly this month so often I'll find Isla snuggled up and cozy next to the heater vent. She often asks me to fetch things for her because she's "too cold to leave the heater."
She is really into dressing up these days and we are now the proud owners of a huge box full of fun frilly clothes. Here she was trying to tap dance up the stairs, just like Shirley Temple (watching short videos of her are another new favorite activity).
You might think Isla was "dressing up" in this next picture too but no, this was just the outfit she selected for the day: a Sounders jersey paired with a pink tutu and some rainboots. She's got style! 
Other things about Isla:
-She's given up napping (though she still has quiet time alone every afternoon)
-She is energized by people
-She has started asking "what's that in Spanish?"
-She likes to be in control
-She's learning nursery rhymes (Wee Willy Winky is the current hit)
-She is memorizing lots of songs (Away in a Manger, Go Tell it on the Mountain, Bless the Lord/10,000 Reasons)
-She's mastered her Strider bike
-She is very into germs and sometimes thinks they are pretty cool. Occasionally she tells us she didn't play with any kids at Sunday school because she "didn't want to share her germs."
-She pretends to read the clock: "Mom, it's 27:30 o'clock."
-She is so, incredibly beautiful, this sweet girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment