Friday, December 4, 2015

Emma 49 Months

I'm fresh off a morning spent with this charming beauty. She must have known I was headed to a coffee shop to go write about her because, just moments before I left, she ASKED to wash the dishes for me and then proceeded to help bring out the recycling and grab me a snack to stash away for later. Sometimes she gets lost in the mix of being the middle but mostly she's a dear.

Her hair is so super long and she wants to donate it but mommy and daddy can't quite bring themselves to cut it (though she did take matters in her own hands a couple months back and cut some herself). She's moving away from her usual "side bun" hairstyle request and now, on most days, asks for two braids or a long ponytail.
She is LOVING school and comes home with painting creations EVERY day. She tells me painting is her favorite part of school and her teacher says the dress up corner is a real hit too. We had her first parent teacher conference and she is doing well on all accounts! Her teacher says she's ready for some basic reading which came as a surprise to me, not because I doubted her in particular, but rather because I tend to underestimate what my kids are capable of. She has a little boyfriend named Lucas and it sounds like they spend a good chunk of time together. I sort of love it that she hangs with the boys.

The boy that puts the biggest twinkle in her eye though is definitely her friend Leif. He lives in West Seattle but the distance makes no matter to them. They love ANY opportunity to be together and pretty much act like an old married couple, greeting and bidding each other adieu with a hug and a kiss.
She's a snuggler and a hugger and likes most anything mommy says she likes. :) I'm savoring this phase where I can (sometimes, ok rarely) have a say in her outfit choices by saying it's my favorite. Emma's go-to is definitely a dress and tights or long socks and usually her light up tennis shoes!

 Emma and Jack are the best of buds. When big sis is in school, these two are inseparable. They play together SO well and keep each other entertained for an hour at a time. Whenever Jack gets injured, Emma is the first to come running to the kitchen for a ziplock to fill with ice.
 We are big on calling body parts what they are over here. Despite our efforts to tell it like it is, somehow Emma got it in her head that the male anatomy is called a "peanut." A couple weekends back, Isla was attending a friend's birthday party at the theater. I told the kids the name of the movie she would be watching and you should have seen the look on Emma's face when I said it was called Peanuts!!!! Her expressions depicted perfectly every last thing she was thinking: They made a movie about THAT? Oh my word it was hysterical!
 Some things that have been keeping Emma entertained this month include: playing school with Isla, playing pretend kitties or tigers, building with legos, dressing up and dancing. We were so excited to be gifted tickets to the dress rehearsal of the Nutcracker and which we surprised the girls with the night before Thanksgiving. Ever since, Emma's adult aspirations have shifted from "being a bat" to "becoming a ballerina in the Nutcracker." I guess we should resume those ballet classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment