Tuesday, July 20, 2010

47 Weeks

It's been such a busy week! Isla decided to move in with her Crozier grandparent's since her parents never seemed to be around and so spent Wednesday, Thursday morning and Friday over there (we are so thankful to have family to hang our with her when we are working/in meetings!)

As it turns out, she has not completely given up vegetables! I was really worried one night and so determinedly cooked her a delicious dinner to disprove my fear. She gobbled the chunks of tofu (her first!) and the roasted broccoli and mushroom medley right up. I was SO proud. (Is it weird that I am most proud of my child's food repertoire?) 

On a liquid note, we are starting the weaning process. It's really been a team effort but mostly initiated by Isla. She has shown decreasing interest in nursing over the past few months and so we have gradually been reducing her number of feedings, not necessarily intentionally. Today I only nursed her 3 times we probably could have made it with only 2 if I had wanted. My goal is to continue nursing her until she's a year at which point I will happily surrender my services to those of Smith Brother's Dairy.

Other activities this week included attending a wedding (it wasn't until the day before that it occurred to me "What am I thinking bringing a loud, mobile child to a wedding?" but she did GREAT!), and went raspberry and blueberry picking.

Isla is always entertaining me. Sometimes I'll be cooking in the kitchen and she'll crawl up to my feet and lunge forward to suck on my toes. Or yesterday, she kept walking into the sliding glass door. Head first. And it's not even clean! I let her do it repeatedly and tried knocking on it to teach her that there was a window there but to no avail. Or there was the evening this week where she decided to become bulimic at dinner and literally stuck her finger into the back of her throat to gag herself for 10 minutes straight. She would sort of giggle to herself before shoving her finger back in for another gag. Oh brother! Today though she was on her best behavior at dinner time. I was scooping her food onto her spoon and then she took the spoon from me and put it in her mouth. I told her "Good job Isla!" and so she started clapping for herself. From that point on, there was applause after each bite.

We continue to (sometimes literally) wrestle with her emerging strong will. Getting her dressed or into her stroller or car seat has turned into a huge battle. And even when we try to set her down in the sitting position on the floor, she refuses to bend and arches herself backwards, throwing her head toward the floor.

Isla is a consistent as a clock when it comes to nighttime sleep. She goes down pretty much without fuss and then wakes at 5 AM on the dot. She then goes back down until about 7:30 AM. Naps are still helter skelter though. She goes down in the morning at 9 AM and then has been starting to sleep for closer to an hour which is awesome. But there are still 2-3 days a week where the AM nap only lasts 30 minutes and then I've been letting her cry for the remaining 30. Afternoon naps are harder because I'm not always home at a consistent time so it's probably my own fault that we can't seem to get a pattern established. Rarely does she nap longer than 20 minutes and then she usually spends a LONG time crying in her crib but never does fall back asleep...makes me feel like a horrible mama.

On an exciting note, I think Isla is finally starting to form some words. "Bah Bah" for bye bye, "baa" for bath and of course "num num" and "Da da." I think she may have even said "Mom" this week! It's about time! :)

I love spending time with my baby girl--this is such a fun age! It's really hard for me to leave her but I'll never get enough of her giddy excitement whenever I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment