Monday, September 3, 2012

Half Marathon!

**As a preface, if you are currently registered or contemplating running a half in the near future, post might not be for you. Or if you hate runner's lingo (it drives me crazy too!!), you might also find this post incredibly irritating. All others, forge ahead. 
I did it! Today I can cross off an item on my bucket list (well, it wasn't really ever on there but now I can add it AND cross it off!) because I completely my very first 1/2 marathon!!!!!!! I have been training with my friend Olona and we actually did a "trial run" of 13 miles together 2 weeks ago and it went great. Unfortunately, her plans changed at the last minute and she was heading out of town this weekend so couldn't do the race with me, much to my disappointment. The idea of running the whole thing alone petrified me so I immediately downloaded some library books to Graham's iPod  in case I couldn't find a real person to keep me company. Enter Chante, a friend of a friend who I've hung out with on a number of occasions in group settings. She is an amazing athlete (most recently completing a 1/2 Iron Man Triathlon) so I was feeling a bit intimidated when she offered to run the 1/2 with me. Oh man, what an answer to prayer she was!!
 
It will never cease to amaze me how you can have good running days and bad running days. Today was definitely one of the latter for me. I made a rookie mistake and over hydrated before the race even started, so much so that when we were jogging around to warm up, what felt like cups of water were literally sloshing around in my belly. Ugg. So, needless to say, I got a huge dual side ache at approximately mile 2. Not good. Those first 2 miles were at a pretty good clip for me (just over 8 min/mile) which didn't help things. By mile 3, I was ready to walk. Also not good. But, I kept going, thanks to my incredibly encouraging running buddy. By mile 5, I couldn't believe it was only mile 5. I was feeling like a slug and was fighting a severe mental battle as all the wussy in me was begging to come out. Thankfully my parents and Gideon were waiting at ~miles 3 and 5 to offer some cheers.
 
Chante had some good advice to "settle in" and that really helped me ease into a good pace. Around mile 7.5, I felt good for a short bit as the side aches began to fade a bit. The "good" period only lasted for about a half mile and never returned. Major bummer! We passed my parents and Gideon again around mile 8 which was awesome. Can I just say I love my family?
 
At mile 9, we encountered another welcome sighting:
 Oh my goodness what mother doesn't melt when she sees this? My sweet girls, Graham, Mike (Chante's husband) and Jeremy, Rachel & Oliver were all there with lots of cheers. The best part about this sign is that it is done with ACRYLIC paints on CANVAS. I adore my artsy husband! Most are lucky to have a cardboard sign in their honor. I got a canvas! Go big or go home!
 
Last night over dinner, I was telling Isla that I was really nervous for my race and that I really needed her and Emma to jump up and down and clap and yell "You can do it Mommy!" My ever-realistic daughter looked at me and with just a smidge of attitude said "Mom, Emma can't do that!" Like, duh Mom. But this morning she was a complete gem and woke up just before I had to leave. She gave me a hug and excitedly told me "I'll see you at the race!" She started to head up the stairs and then stopped me in my tracks "Wait Mommy! I have to give you a hug and a kiss!" Oh how I love that girl!
 The next 4 miles were hardcore, with emphasis on the "hard." I honestly don't know how I kept running because I wanted to walk so badly. The course ended with a long out and back stretch that felt eternal. Somewhere between miles 10 and 11, I lost it. Ya know, that thing that mommy runners lose but neglect to talk about. We all pretend it doesn't happen but let's be real here - bladder control ain't what it used to be!! At first I was a bit mortified but then I decided to just embrace it and pat myself on the back. I AM RUNNING A FREAKING HALF MARATHON ONE YEAR AFTER GIVING BIRTH. Not everyone can say that. I also convinced myself of some major pluses about the whole ordeal: 1) no need to wait in the long port-a-potty line at the end of the race 2) there was still plenty of time to dry out before the finish line. Really, the perks pretty much outweigh the negatives. Almost.
 
Chante stayed with me until mile 12 when she broke away in pursuit of a personal record (which she got, by the way). I put in my headphones and then tried to get the iPod to do something other than play the first 2 seconds of every song. These distractions were welcomed and before I knew it, I could see the finish line. When I saw the race clock displaying less than 2 hours, I was thrilled and relieved and unable to push any harder all at the same time.
 My goal for the race was (most importantly) to finish but I also had a secondary bonus goal of doing so in less than 2 hours. I am so happy to say that I met both goals with a final time of 1:58:24. Yay!! I was 25th in my age group and the 189th female. I am so, SO happy to say that I did it! And I'm even more thrilled to say that it's done!!!
 
I came downstairs after my post-race shower to find the sign hanging on the wall in the living room and I burst into tears. This race was so significant for me, helping me to see that I'm stronger than I realize. I am fearfully and wonderfully made, created by God and in Him, capable of bigger things than I can imagine. It was really, really hard ("bad" running days are brutal even without the 13.1 mile distance!) But I did it even though I wanted to quit and walk. 
I think I'll be leaving this sign up for a while. I just love everything it signifies.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Kelsie. I'm so proud of you!! And that sign is perfect - yes, keep it up for a long, long time!! You are blessed! :) Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete