Sunday, June 22, 2008

A bit on marriage

I guess I'm a bit ashamed of our generation. I was talking to a nurse at work who is in the process of planning her parents' 50th wedding anniversary party next weekend. Before I go on, can I just say Wow! What a milestone! Having only been married 1 year, 3 months and 6 days, it is difficult to even fathom what life will look like in 48+ years from now. Graham can vouch for me that I just love older couples. There is something about seeing elderly couples together that makes me want to cry--not necessarily out of sadness but just simply because it warms my heart to see their genuine sweetness with one another. I was at the gym last week and saw the cutest older couple working out together and it just looked like they were having so much fun. Without a doubt, they were each others' best friend.
I'm so bummed that fewer and fewer couples are coming even close to that 50 year marriage mark. I think our generation is too plain self-focused. Previous generations entered into marriage with the mind set that they were in it for the long haul, no question about it. Now it seems that our younger generation views the world from the perspective that "the grass is always greener." In jobs, friendships, marriages--we're always looking for more.
Today we had the privilege of attending Graham's aunt and uncle's surprise 25th wedding anniversary party. It was so neat to see all the people who have been involved in supporting them throughout the years all gathered in the same room. Such neat stories were shared and it really inspired me.
I am so excited to think that we're only beginning our adventure together and pray that I would become more and more self-less as the years go by. I'm very thankful for my best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment