Sunday, December 21, 2008

SNOW!!!

I love how the city practically shuts down when it snows here. The grocery store has been packed with families "stocking up" for the storm and the streets are lined with three times as many people walking than usual (if snow is what it takes to get them exercising than I'm all for it!) So many people have spent the week at home rather than at work or school. Except for us of course. We never seem to get that lucky. I worked the past 6 of 7 days so spent a lot of my time driving on the roads of Snohomish County which was quite exciting to say the least. My little civic was a little trooper throughout the week....up until today (which, speaking of, since all the news stations spent so much time promoting the coming snow/wind on Saturday night, wouldn't you think they would have had the plowers ready and working through the night for all the people who had to get up and drive in the AM!!!??? Of course not! How could I be so silly to think things might work that logically!) Anyway, the freeway was absolutely horrid yesterday on my drive to work--I have never in my life seen so much snow on a main interstate. I mean, no plow had even touched it! My car kept bottoming out on the snow. Then there was the time I almost slid head on into the cement divider as I was taking my exit. Oh and the time I almost didn't make it up the unplowed major road uphill to my hospital (once I got going, I made the decision to continue on through all the stoplights, even if they weren't the right color--it was that bad.) Then there was the time I got stuck in the parking garage trying to leave my hospital. No one had thought to shovel the incline out of the garage (maybe that was their way of keeping their employees there to make up for all those that didn't show up). Oh and then once I finally got on the road home, I almost hit a line of about 5 stopped cars. Needless to say, it was an exciting day and I somehow made it home in one piece. I have to admit, I squeeled aloud with delight a couple time while driving because it felt sort of like an amusement park ride, sliding and swirving all over with no control (of course, the times I actually enjoyed the sliding were only when no other cars were around me.)
After arriving home, Graham and I decided to WALK to our desired destinations rather than drive. Graham really enjoyed watching all the other cars spin out and get stuck (we helped push one guys out of his driveway). We went for a nice long walk to Starbucks where we read the paper which was super relaxing. Then we had an early dinner and watched a movie. I was in bed by 8:45 since I had to wake up so early to drive through the snow to work throughout the week!


Hope the rest of you are enjoying the snow and staying SAFE! And hopefully basking in the fact that a lot of you don't have to go to work when it snows.... :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment