Sunday, February 8, 2009

Junk

I went for a walk yesterday morning while most of my neighbors were spending their Saturday sleeping in. For some reason, I was noticing just how much STUFF Americans have. I passed by garages filled to the brim with junk and yards with piles of boards and toys and trash scattered around. I even passed quite a few homes where you could tell that the garage was so jam packed that they had to start stacking excess junk in piles on the side of the house. How disgusting! I wouldn't call me neighborhood ritzy but it certainly isn't the ghetto. It's just a bunch of typical American homes. I came away from my exercise routine realizing that I do not want to live that way and don't ever want to get to the point that I have so much stuff my car can't fit in the garage.
So I came home and began to clean. I only went through part of a room but was able to fill up Graham's entire trunk and part of the back seat with give aways (in addition to throwing a bunch of other stuff away). I am on a mission to go through the entire house, getting rid of stuff to keep our life simple-I don't want to look like these other Americans! Graham had me use the rule "If you haven't used it since we've been married, get rid of it" which actually worked pretty well accept for a couple boxes of keepsakes from my childhood that are here to stay. There is much more work to be done

2 comments:

  1. I totally know how you feel, Kelsie!!! I have to purge our house pretty regularly out of necessity. In this small space it's easy to go crazy if too much stuff is lying around. But I'm scared when I have a house I won't be so diligent about throwing unneeded things away/taking things to Value Village. Good work on getting rid of things - isn't it so satisfying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to our garage...we have yet to park a car in it. We do have 2 motorcycles in there and a riding lawn mower though...

    We have a huge pile of 'to sell on CL' stuff and then...the makeshift painting booth we made out of cardboard... the projects just keep going on and the car still sits outside. :( Someday soon I hope to get the car in the garage!

    ReplyDelete