Thursday, February 26, 2009

Gilbert's

I've always secretly wished I could be a food critic. I think that would be the perfect job--to get paid to eat! I had thought at one point that I would use my blog as my own personal restaurant review site but I sort of forgot about that idea...until today.

Today is our day off this week but Graham had to go into work this morning for a 7:30 AM class on how to identify patients who have had strokes. Anyway, I made the wise decision of going along with him (not to the actual class though--I just hung out, had a latte and journaled in the very nice Overlake lobby). The reason it was such a good choice to go along was because Graham took me out to breakfast afterwards which is pretty much my favorite activity ever! Yesterday, he'd discovered "Old Bellevue" which apparently was the former hub of Bellevue. "Main Street" is lined with super cute shops and restaurants that were great for window shopping. He took me to this AWESOME cafe called "Gilbert's." I think it is my new favorite place! They have these fabulous petite-breakfast specials on weekday mornings that really are far from being petite (they just aren't the oversized American portions). I ordered the egg scramble with tomatoes, spinach and feta. The guy at the counter said the scramble was known to be even better with kalamata olives which he offered to add for free--sure! Why not? The scramble came along with a fresh bagel of my choice (I chose the spinach, Havarti and garlic bagel which was the most incredible bagel I've ever had) with cream cheese and jam. All that for only $4.95! Graham ordered the petite french toast plate that came with an egg scramble of cheddar, green onions and mushrooms. We ordered one chicken apple sausage on the side to split but when the guy taking our order found out we were splitting, he said he'd just give us a second one for free. He also gave us a hand-written coupon for 2 free crepes because when we first walked in, we were planning to get crepes until be realized they were only served during the lunch/afternoon hours. The guy was great and made us feel very welcome. The decor was fun with walls painted with an Italian-style theme. We sat by the front window which was lined with fun books that entertained us while we waited for our food. We walked out of there with our bellies feeling very satisfied with less than $10 damage! We are definitely going back to Gilbert's. If you are ever on the eastside, check it out!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a great find - do they serve breakfast on the weekends?

    Might be in the running for a good 'girls' brunch spot to hit up with babies too... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do serve breakfast on weekends but it is more pricey since they don't have the petite menu options that run from $4-5. Their weekend menu looked more in the $12-13 range so it's probably best visited on a weekday with babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Kelsie. Glad that you discovered Gilbert's and Main Street.

    There are a lot of great options for dining and entertainment here on the Eastside

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsie, George and I used to go to old Bellevue with friends. Gilberts sounds like a must try.

    ReplyDelete