Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Our Nursery Palate....Revealed

After much deliberation, we have come up with the color scheme for our nursery! We decided to go against the trend and NOT find out the gender of our little one. This means we've been trying to get as creative as possible with nursery ideas while remaining gender neutral. Of course I suggested we go with green (my favorite color) but Graham promptly said "No more green!" since I already have a green kitchen, bedroom and master bathroom. :o) Wouldn't you know it though, we ended up with none other than GREEN in our color scheme (and I believe he was the one who picked it out).

We were have a hard time finding any bedding that we liked and when my mom learned of this, she promptly volunteered to make us some if we found fabric that we liked. She's very excited to be able to contribute to the baby's room and we're super excited not to have to spend $200+ for bedding that we don't even like.

After a few trips to fabric stores, here's what we came up with:
The fabrics will be used to make 2 crib sheets, a dust "ruffle" (although we're going for a less ruffley and more modern pleated look) and a crib bumper which we will use at some point although we're not quite sure when since they are technically a no-no due to SIDS risk in infancy (sometimes being in medicine, we just know too much for our own good!!!) The crib sheets will be made from the front fabric pictured and the more plain off-white fabric (it has small flowers on it). The chocolate brown fabric will be used for the bumper and the green fabric will turn into our ruffle with a chocolate brown accent ribbon running along the bottom half. As for the wall color, we are pulling from the beige/latte color in the crib sheet pattern pictured below.


Of course we'll make sure the room is bright and colorful enough by making a throw pillow for the nursing chair out of one of the fabrics and maybe covering a lampshade with another. We'll need to pick out curtains (I think we decided not to make those and we don't want them too froofy) and then Graham is going to paint a series of square painting for the walls.

Phew, I think we both heaved a sigh of relief after getting this portion of the planning figured out yesterday. Now we can move ahead with painting and maybe even starting the registering process. By the way, for the record, here are a couple pictures of the "nursery" before:

Anyway, we've been doing quite a bit in addition to planning the nursery which I hope to blog about shortly...in the meantime, enjoy this sneak preview of what is to come!

3 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm so excited to see how it all comes out!! The fabric you picked is all quite nice. I can't believe you are going to wait to find out the gender. I mean, I love it and almost wish I could have done it...but the anticipation was too much for me.

    BTW, are you guys going to sell the couch in the pic? Heh...we're looking for one like that in case you are let me know please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I can't wait to see it all put together! We put the bumpers back in once the kids could roll around very easily - maybe 6 months? They liked to snuggle up to them & helps keep feet from getting stuck in the openings. (I think feet getting stuck prompted putting them in both times)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color scheme and I love the patterns! Can't wait to see what it looks like when it is all done!

    ReplyDelete