Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Funny Story

Today someone at work asked me how I've been feeling.

My response was this: "Well, is extreme irritability a common symptom at 28 weeks?"
(I mean seriously, I hit 28 weeks on Sunday and since then, BAM!!! Watch out people!!!)

Anyway, so one of the nurse practitioners who I absolutely love and adore overhears me saying I'm irritable and immediately looks up and calmly but urgently tells me I need to call and tell my OB about it. I was a bit surprised and so asked her what my symptoms of irritability could possible indicate (meanwhile I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how it could physiologically be worrisome, whether it might lead to preterm labor, high blood pressure etc). She again, trying hard not to worry me, very firmly says "You're 28 weeks along and you're feeling irritable, I just really think you need to let your OB know."

"Yikes!" I'm thinking...."this must be really serious." But I really trust this nurse practitioner and am confident she really knows her stuff so I'm about ready to run to my office to call my OB. Thankfully, a piece of me hesitated, wondering "What on earth am I going to tell him!!? Um, Dr....I've been extremely cranky. My coworkers said I needed to call to let you know." Hmmmm. I bet if I said that he would think I was really off my rocker.

Meanwhile, the nurse practitioner can sense I'm a bit puzzled and so gives me the reasoning behind her concern (though she still is being very cautious not to worry me): "Anytime a pregnant woman's uterus started to feel irritable, you really want to watch closely for preterm labor."

HAHA! I could have lost it then and there. She was under the impression my UTERUS was irritable, NOT my emotions!!!!! Oh my goodness did we giggle once we realized the miscommunication!!

I guess the moral of the story is this: When it comes to pregnancy, many things can be irritable so BE SPECIFIC!! :o)

2 comments:

  1. oh my word that is hilarious!!

    When I was 30 weeks with Simon (my first) I was on the women's retreat with Church and during worship I actually "peed" my pants, it wasn't that bad I even finished singing the song..Katie Kyler took me to the bathroom and I got changed..upon my exit from the bathroom I found several women in tears and the whole group praying for me and they forced me to go home since my water was breaking - ha ha! Simon was breech and my water did break just before 35 weeks which was ironic but seriously people it is called leaking, relax!

    hope you get some time to unwind and not be so tense..your getting close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL ~ That's awesome.

    And Rebekah, that's a great story right there.... it is good to know (especially when you're going through it for the first time) that leaking is normal - I didn't know what was wrong with me for a while there and was a bit weirded out by the whole thing. :O

    ReplyDelete