Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Poopy Day

I must just be having one of those days....

Poor Graham is having to jump in the "comforter" role every other second or so today. Thankfully, dinner prep tonight included chopping a jalapeno with my bare hands so I decided that my teary day would have to come to an end because I'd "get spice in my eyes" trying to wipe the tears. :o) It must be a new wave of hormones or something. I just don't know why they are surging so strong today though.

So basically the last week and a half have been really rough at work. I've been training another dietitian to cover during my maternity leave and of course we've had more critical patients then ever, making it very challenging to get my work done and teach her at the same time. Last week I was way into overtime and was unable to take my breaks and lunch on a number of days because I had so many critical patients. One day I worked almost 10 1/2 hours (a record for me) before calling it quits for the day. All in all though, there were moments last week where I actually really loved my job more than ever as I really thrive when I am challenged. To make a long story short though, basically at the end of it all, I was told that I couldn't be compensated for the breaks that I worked through. I pretty much donated my time then which is frustrating since I worked my butt off last week and won't be paid for the extra effort. So that has been erking me and making me feel very unappreciated and un-valued in my job.

Then today, I had a doctor speak (actually yell would be a better descriptor) extremely disrespectfully to me which almost set me through the roof. Thankfully, I was able to respond calmly to his incredibly rude remarks (and I don't think many people even noticed the steam coming out of my ears!) Needless to say, I did not think very nice thoughts in my head and now am dreading going to work tomorrow and the next since I will have to work with him (he's basically undoing all the hard work and extra hours I put in last week). But, I have a full team of nurses, nurse practitioners, pharmacists and other staff who are behind me....it still stinks to be the one to get almost yelled at for standing up for a patient.

I can't end on such a sour note. Things really aren't that bad. The good news in our household is that Graham set up our new tv yesterday and to our surprise, we now have like a bazillion channels! I FINALLY HAVE FOOD TV!!!!! This is quite exciting for me as I have not had the Food Network since I lived at home with my parents. And to think we're didn't pay anything extra for all these new channels... (okay, well I guess you could say we paid multiple hundreds of dollars for the tv that led to the increased number of channels but that's besides the point.....) :o)

I think I will remedy my emotional day with a slice of Maple Mocha Brownie Torte and then hit the sack early.

2 comments:

  1. Awww....I think I'm having a poopy day today too. The hormones are quite crazy eh? Just wait until postpartum for some real fun! ;P

    I'm just negative nancy over everything...and I just want to sleep! Guess that's what happens after Hailey decided to be up every 2 hours the last couple of nights. :(
    *yawn*

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks Kelsie - was it the caffeine-addicted one that yelled at you?

    I'm sorry - I hope you had a better day today!

    ReplyDelete