Monday, October 18, 2010

Maui Wowee--Part 1

Last week, we arrived home from my first ever Crozier family vacation. Because all but Scotty live in the area, we see each other frequently but rarely do overnighters so this was a new experience that I hope will become an annual tradition. We probably won't be able to afford to spent a week on Maui every year (we really couldn't afford it this year either but when the sunshine calls, you make sacrifices...) but hopefully we'll do something all together for an extended period of time each year.

I must say that flying with four extra pairs of hands was a real treat! I got to read on the plane for awhile which was so nice as we passed Isla around. We also had lots of help carrying the pack 'n play which we brought along for the first time. Isla has grown obsessed with pushing her own stroller recently. I can't believe how foolish I was to teach her how fun that could be...now she never wants to ride in it anymore.
 We booked a 3 bedroom (air-conditionless--how did we miss that!?) condo that was literally feet from the water in Kihei, on the south side of the island. We were on the 1st floor and had a patio that was perfect for early morning coffee-sipping and turtle-watching.
***Please be sure to keep an eye out for the lovely condo decor as you browse my pictures. It was so lovely. So stylish. So early 90s. Take this gorgeous faded bedspread for instance:
 PLEASE will someone tell me where I can get one?

Isla LOVED the beach. It took her a few minutes to "figure things out" though, if ya know what I mean.
 Like that sand isn't for eating.
 Rough lesson, but she never tried to eat it again (intentionally, that is)!

Wailea Beach was definitely our favorite beach of those we visited. The sand was so fine and so white. I'm pretty sure they either sifted it to get rid of all the pebbles and twigs or trucked it all it. GORGEOUS!
Of course this beach just happened to be below some of the nicest resorts on the island (Wailea Grand, Four Seasons). Graham and I went on an evening walk here and explored the grounds of each hotel and they were pretty much incredible. I think rooms there started at only $500/night for a garden view so of course this would be our favorite beach. Graham tried to sneak into their pools one day but they make all their guests wear purple wrist bands so they can call out anyone who didn't belong. They are that snazzy. If I ever go back to Maui (which I sort of doubt I will), I would want to stay at one of these two places. Of course, we'd probably have to postpone our retirement 50 years to do so, but I'm sure it would all be worth it.

One afternoon, we drove up to the Iao Needle or "The Needle" as we liked to call it. We walked through the state park and admired all the tropical foliage. Scotty was able (or chose) to skip a week of college classes to come hang out with the fam. It was fun for him and Isla to be reunited. Isla found him quite comical (as did I).
Please ignore me and my slicked back face and hair in the photo below. I only included this picture because Isla looks freakin' hilarious.
The Needle!

On our way back down, we stopped at a roadside fruit stand and purchased some of the most amazing fruit I have ever eaten. Pineapples, papayas, mango, apple bananas, the most enormous avocados I have ever seen (their pits were almost the size of a tennis ball), and PASSION FRUIT, my newest love. If you ever have the chance to try one, do it! Weird but amazing.

 Of course we spent tons of time at the beach. I love this shot. She looks so angry. She actually had a great time playing with all the sand toys. It was photos that she did not like. I could not get her to look at me AND smile all week.
 At Big Beach (Makena State Park)
 Another afternoon, we decided to drive part way up the big mountain to a small town with a famously delicious donut shop. We made the drive up there only to find out they ran out of donuts hours ago. This kills me! It happens to me all the time here in Seattle too. There were numerous times that I went to Cupcake Royal in Ballard only to be told they were out of cupcakes. I don't get it. When cupcakes (or donuts) are your business, make extras so you don't run out. It can't be too hard. But then again, I wasn't a business major. 

Since donuts were not to be, we took off to find some botanical garden only to find that too was closed. But we did find an (also closing) pumpkin patch and corn maze up in the hills where I captured this shot of John in his element: 
 Who knew there would be pumpkin patches and corn mazes in Hawaii?
 He's so rugged right now. He grew a beard over the first 5 days of our trip.
 Aww shucks....this is too cute.
 The family was determined to teach Isla to walk in Maui so everyone took turns walking her around the grounds. She waited until two days after we got home before she took off.
 The crew, admiring one of the more northern beaches (I can't remember the name) somewhere near Kaanapali or Napili. 
 Isla spent a lot of time floating in her starfish. She loved the ocean although the waves freaked her out a first. As long as we were out past where they were breaking, she would float endlessly and quite gleefully.
 Oh so I guess I lied. I did get this one picture of Isla looking and smiling. Mischievous smirking actually.
 Love this shot of my little bikini model!
 I think this a good way to close this first series of photos. This is Isla after her picnic on the beach. As you can see, her meal consisted of 30% turkey and cheese and 70% sand that was stuck to her turkey and cheese. 
It is basically impossible to feed a child at the beach. Trust me, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment