Friday, October 29, 2010

October

We have had an absolutely breath-taking month of October, have we not? I'm pretty sure our street sports some of the prettiest colors around. Every year, about this time, I find myself scrambling for my cell phone to snap a couple poor-quality shots as I drive from the freeway to our house. I never get any that quite capture the beauty. This year, I was smart enough to take a walk, camera in hand, to snap a few shots.
 
I have been in denial that summer was truly over until just this week. This is usually about the time that my (entirely self-diagnosed) season affective disorder kicks in at full force. Last year, it was during the month of October that I started training to run a 5K (I worked up to the distance but never actually ran a formal race). I remember fighting extreme lack of motivation when I would wake up to the wet, freezing weather outside. I am so thankful for the sunshine that came along with October this year! 
I was feeling jipped by our short summer and so chose to ignore the signs of fall in hopes of prolonging the warm weather. I didn't put up a single fall decoration. I didn't even buy a pumpkin. I wasn't feeling up to throwing my usual Black and Orange Halloween Dinner Party (for those who know me well, this is when you know something is really wrong!)  But then last week, I passed by the jugs of apple cider as I was doing my routine grocery shopping and for some reason, it clicked that fall is here and I've gotta embrace it! Since that moment, I shifted into overdrive and stocked my cart with all the necessary ingredients for making pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin biscuits, homemade applesauce, soups and pasta dishes each featuring butternut squash and of course everything I need to make homemade caramel apple cider complete with whipped cream! Today I pulled out my tub of fall decor and tomorrow we head to the pumpkin patch (it's better late than never!) For some reason I still can't seem to pull the energy together to host a Black and Orange dinner this year (maybe it's partially because we've been out of town or working every single weekend this month and I just want to be lazy at home for a stretch) but I'm cooking up a fall menu for my sister's birthday celebration tomorrow that is sort of black and orange so that's gotta count for something!

Happy Fall everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Cute pictures, Kelsie, and beautiful colors!! Happy Fall! I'm glad you finally embraced it. My decorations came out the moment the calender switched to October. :) And its still 75 degrees out...not to rub it in...but I've had my own issues WANTING to embrace fall, with the abnormal (to me) weather.

    ReplyDelete