Friday, November 25, 2011

I am blessed

We dedicated Emma at church last Sunday. We didn't necessarily plan it this way but it was quite fitting that the event took place during Thanksgiving week. It really set the mood of the week for me as I reflected on all I have to be thankful for. We are just so blessed. I felt a new surge of emotions as thanked God for our baby girl who is alive and thriving. Now that almost 3 months have passed since she arrived, the memory of her hospital stay is fading and no longer part of my day to day thought process. Sometimes I wish it crossed my mind more often. When it does, I slow down. I hug my girls a little tighter. I stop working and get on the floor and play, or grab the baby and just snuggle.
I am a blessed woman.

As Graham shared the meaning behind Emma's name during the dedication, we both were holding back tears. At first "Emma" was just something we scribbled on the white board of our hospital room, just so the poor child would have a name. But is wasn't until she was re-hospitalized that we realized what a perfect fit it was for her. Emma means "complete; all containing; whole." Paired with her middle name "Grace," it was a good reminder to us that God's grace is sufficient even in the valleys. We both separately decided, during that hospital stay, that we wanted to dedicate Emma as soon as possible. We wanted to offer her up to the Lord and commit our lives to raising her to know Him since He so generously blessed us with her.
Emma wore a handmade dress, crocheted by her great-great Grandmother and worn by many before her (including my dad, myself, my sister and Isla). Many family members and friends joined us to show their support and we once again felt overwhelmed by the love that surrounds this little girl. Thank you!

Just for fun, I thought I'd post a picture of the two girls in the dress. Are they even related?? :)
 Emma (almost 12 weeks) and Isla (7 1/2 months)

No comments:

Post a Comment