Tuesday, May 8, 2012

MAY DAY!

I don't know what happened but this month is FULL! Realistically I should be working on one of my many obligations right now but I'm not. It's sunny and BOTH girls are napping so I'm taking a brief, much-needed mental break, just me and my laptop on the back porch.

Yesterday, it was about 3 PM when I realized I have no idea what we're having for dinner. This may be a rather common occurrence for the average American household but it is a major red flag in mine. Oh where is my brain? Swirling with many other things, apparently. Don't you worry, we did eat. And actually quite well. I remembered at the last minute I did have something planned, but it had slipped my mind, along with most other non-essentials right now. 

This morning at MOPS, I was reminded that I actually do still love cooking. And eating. There have been moments in the last 8 months where I've nearly forgotten, but my passion for all things food is still buried in there, you just might have to peel a couple of layers back first (namely the children that are dangling from my limbs). The dinner hour has been a rather treacherous one as of late and I've often found myself, like many I think, wishing I could fast forward through the hours of 5 to 7 PM.

But this morning a fellow dietitian spoke to the common challenges that arise when feeding a young family. She does a tremendous job of getting her kids into the grocery store and kitchen to help her with the whole process of food preparation. Admittedly, I once was good at that, back when I was a nanny but the skill faded somewhat when I became a mother myself. I often try to preoccupy the girls while I cook instead of engaging them in the cooking. It's humbling as I of all people should know, but I'm grateful for the reminder I heard this morning.

I'm REALLY excited for this summer, to have Isla help harvest the veggies we've planted on the patio, to let her pick out new produce to try at the produce stand, to go berry picking. Teaching my girls to have a healthy relationship with food is a passion for me and I want to utilize every opportunity I'm given and make every moment count!

No comments:

Post a Comment