Thursday, May 3, 2012

Nostalgia

Late Sunday night, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law gave birth to their first, a son. Meet Canon McIntosh Crozier! Apparently the ever-popular Crozier saying "Go big or go home" applies to babies too. He weighed 9 pounds, 6 ounces, only two ounces less than Emma (us daughter-in-laws did not know what we were in for when we married Croziers!) Anyway, he's adorable. I've only held him once but I already love him.

Watching John and Tash become parents has resulted in waves of nostalgia for me, remembering those first few days after giving birth. Oh how I wish I could relive them! Of course the birth of each child is amazing (at least the birth of my two children have been) but there is something about the firstborn that is so magical.
To this day, Graham recalls the moment pictured above, in the first hour after Isla was born, as the best part of our marriage so far. He says I was just glowing. And looking back at it now, I can see that I was. Everyone tells you to slow down because "it goes by so fast," words that you never want to hear in the moment, words that go in one ear and out the other. I'm only 2 1/2 years out but I can already attest to the truth in them. It does go by fast. Really fast. You won't realize it at the time, but those moments with the firstborn are priceless because they offer the only opportunity you will have to give your undivided attention as a parent. It's a rare and wonderful occasion. Children are such a sweet and precious gift!

1 comment:

  1. I am eight years out from our first and I remember it like yesterday. As I do with all my births. Each one is perfect and amazing and brings a whole new element. Congrats on the new nephew.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete