Monday, November 12, 2012

Bird Sanctuary

A couple weeks ago, Lani and I took the kids up to Bellingham for a couple nights at my parents during a particularly busy week for our husbands. Part of the fun included a trip up to the Reifel Bird Sanctuary in Canada to feed the birds. We grew up going here and so I was excited to introduce my kids to all the joys of letting birds eat from your hands. Seriously!
Isla let one duck nibble from her hand and that was enough for her! Those birds are EAGER for food so can get a bit aggressive when they see the seed...
The weather was as per usual for fall in the Pacific Northwest - a perfect opportunity to break in my new rain boots (seriously, why has it taken me 28 years of living here to buy a pair of these!?)
Gideon probably had the best time of us all - and the ducks really liked him too since his feeding style involved dumping piles of seed onto the ground. The patient adults in the group got chickadees to land on and feed out of our hands - so cool! 
 Thankfully I thought to get Emma out of the stroller for the last bit of our visit. She had a RIOT waddling right along with the ducks. My mom and I took turns holding onto the upper back of her coat while she pivoted and chased the ducks. She had her tongue out the entire time!
She was so busy watching the ducks that she didn't even realize she was standing alone.
It'd highly recommend the bird sanctuary as a family outing if you ever find yourself in Canada!


No comments:

Post a Comment