Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Partying like Penguins

 Oh my word! How did this happen? My baby is pictured there sitting behind a cake with a candle in it. A FIRST BIRTHDAY CAKE!!! Gah. I'm feeling all weepy today but I'll try and spare you. I really don't know where the time went.

We had a very small gathering on Saturday with my sister and her family and my parents to celebrate.
Jack was still under the weather (isn't he always) and was a bit shy with all the attention but eventually warmed up to his new stacking cups and water bottle. 
 The boy loves meat and so I served a lunch of BBQ pork sandwiches, slaw and grapes along with hot cider. He ate three servings of meat!!
We took a party intermission after lunch so the birthday boy could take a nap and the rest of us carved pumpkins.

 The kids were uber-creative with their carving requests. Both Emma and Gid wanted the stem cutout to be the shape of a fish. Good thing I was assigned to help Isla!!!!! She just wanted a simple heart. 
Then she requested heart eyes and a heart mouth. I drew the line when she asked for heart eyelashes...this is about as artistic as I get, folks!

Grandma asked Emma if she wanted a happy or sad face. She said a sad face. "I LOVE sad!!" I'm trying not to read into that one too hard. I gotta say, I sort of love her sad pumpkin.
When Jack woke up, it was cake time! It wasn't hard to figure out what kind of cake to request for the boy. I have never seen penguins flock to a kid but if you ever want a good show, take Jack to the zoo. They just LOVE him and it's obvious the feeling is mutual. He has this adorable penguin call that brings them all a'flocking. 
My mom made these ADORABLE cakes. (Golly, I'm so glad I'm learning to delegate!)

Jack was as impressed as the rest of us and didn't hesitate to dive in.
Pardon ALL the pictures but it was his first birthday.
He couldn't figure out when we kept pulling it away whenever he got close.
Whoops! That one was supposed to be for the adults...
He knows when he sees a good thing.
Classic one-year-old playing with fire.
And then the moment he'd been waiting for!
I'm not gonna lie. It was awesome watching him dive in with both hands. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have eaten that whole cake had we not cut him off after about 10 minutes of straight sugar.
Needless to say, he was up until 9 PM (but we didn't care because we were out on a date!) :)


No comments:

Post a Comment