Sunday, November 30, 2014

Emma's surgery (and 39 months)

No worries everyone, we are alive over here! It's been a crazy and full month but I still want to take a pause to jot down a few things about Emma lest you think we fell off the face of the planet. This sweet girl is suddenly into everything and I've learned quickly she cannot be left unattended like my rule-following eldest. When things grow unnaturally quiet, I usually find her sporting a pair of Grandpa's glasses (and saying "Whoa Mom! I'm going downhill!!) or carefully applying my eye make up.....to her upper lip.
But the biggest and most major happening in her life last month (I'm late!) was her nose surgery that took place on November 10th. We knew surgery was in her future at some point in her childhood but the timing depended on a number of variables - how her nose grew, her personality and what kids around her were saying. But it all happened really fast after her 3 year well check up when her pediatrician recommended we go ahead and schedule the procedure. We agreed the timing felt "right" and not 6 weeks later (and a mere 3 days after closing on our new house), she was going under anesthesia.
She was an absolute ROCK STAR and show even the slightest sign of being nervous. In fact, I think we talked it up just so that she was actually excited. Of course Children's is amazing and made sure even Mickey Mouse got an ID bracelet to match. 
They got Emma all situated and let me climb up into bed with her. We got to watch Cars while we were waiting which she thought was pretty cool. And she got to pick her "sleepy" medicine flavor - bubble gum of course!
Man oh man though! Emma did great but I was a mess! I held it together until they put her under. They called it "going to sleep" but it most certainly was more than that. Watching her eyes role back, it almost felt other-wordly and made it seem like my sweet Emma was no longer in her little body. It's an experience I do not care to repeat, that's for sure. I started crying as soon as we left the room and didn't stop until we were told she was in recovery. Thank goodness the surgery didn't last too long!
I was so relieved when they told us she was out and that we could come back and be with her. She was still asleep when we arrived but woke up about 10 minutes later when the nurse was taking off her blood pressure cuff. I was expecting her to be loopy but the first thing she said was "Where is the Cars movie!?" She was thrilled by the fishy crackers and juice and we gave her a couple presents - a stuffed dog and a Veggietales DVD. We were out and on our way via wheelchair shortly after some good vital checks.
We spent the day laying low-ish but it's hard to keep Emma down for long. We were promised a sleepy, loopy girl but what we ended up with was a spirited, energetic 3 year old who didn't even take a nap that afternoon! So we got milkshakes and enjoyed visits from friends and family. I'm pretty sure if you asked Emma, she'd volunteer to do the whole thing again!
A few other things about Emma this month:
-she's been a big "helper" with our remodel
-she's goofy and brings us so much joy (as do her outfits)
-she loves to dress up
-and has a new found interest in gymnastics 
-she remains our biggest snuggler (and Grandpa's too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment