Monday, August 11, 2008

My Birthday

Graham (as somewhat expected) went ALL OUT in treating me to a wonderful birthday long weekend. On Thursday night he surprised me by gathering friends and brothers and sisters in law (and real sister) at the Icon Grill where I had my favorite dessert ever: a giant ice cream sundae. The next day we took off for our final destination of: Seattle (I really had no idea where we were going and thought maybe we were going to Canada...). The morning started off at Julia's in the U district where I had the best pancake of my life with granola, oats, toasted pecans and blueberries. Next we went to Greenlake, walked a bit, and then got coffee at Starbucks and read for a while. Around lunch time we headed to Agua Verde where we rented a kayak for two and kayaked around some of the gorgeous homes on Lake Washington. If you recall, Friday was somewhat windy which made for the "white water" kayaking in some parts of the lake--it really freaked me out! But thankfully we found a calm place to de-boat for a picnic lunch. Our final destination was the Westin Hotel Downtown which was absolutely phenomenal. We got a room on the 35th floor facing the water!! It was absolutely the coolest room I have ever been in--I was so excited!
Our room:
Enjoying Starbucks in our room:
Once we were settled, Graham pulled out my gift, wrapped in a pink Victoria Secret bag. I was totally expecting....well....ya know.....but no! Inside was a little box with a jewelers' emblem. And inside the box was a pair of diamond hoop earrings!! It took me only a second to realize that the earrings were actually made out of wedding rings he proposed with. (For those of you who don't know the story, my fingers didn't tolerate the initial setting that he picked out for me due to my skin sensitivity. So back in the fall, we went out together and bought a new setting with the intention of selling the old. We made a couple attempts to sell it on craigslist but only crazy people responded who wanted to send me a check via e-mail that I could print off my computer....Deep down, I didn't want to sell it anyway because it had so much sentimental value-not to mention it's in all our wedding pictures!) Back to the earrings....Graham found a jeweler who was willing to cut the bands, create posts and 14 k backs to complete the set. I was speechless. And yes, I realize that I am SO spoiled! AND, as if all this wasn't enough, Graham also got me a trip to my favorite salon where I'm supposed to get a cut and my first color ever (I think I'll just do highlights). So if anyone wants to suggest a style, I'm open to suggestions!
Back to my birthday celebration evening, Graham took me to the Coldwater Bar and Grill where we enjoyed lots of yummy seafood. We watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics in our room while we enjoyed our view of the Seattle lights at night. The next morning, we walked down to Pike Place Market for some crepes before heading up to Bellingham. Bellingham is a whole other story that I'll continue in a 2nd post....

No comments:

Post a Comment