Sunday, May 31, 2009

Baby Shower!

Yesterday I threw a baby shower for my dear friend Jackie and her little one, Madelyn Mae. Jackie and I were roomates our first, second and half of our third year at SPU (the only reason we only lasted half of the third year was because she got married and decided she'd rather live with her new husband over me....) Anyway, she and her husband Brant played a huge role in getting me to finally let Graham take me out (we had many double dates) and now look where we are! We were in each others' weddings and now here we are going through our first pregnancies together (I'm 11 weeks behind her). It was MY PLEASURE to honor her in this way and I look forward to meeting her daughter hopefully in just 3 weeks.


Jackie and her husband are moving to Portland next Saturday where they will deliver their baby and spend the summer closer to family before they make a cross-country move to New Jersey where Brant will attend Princeton Seminary in the Fall (they are scheduled to move 2 days after our baby is due so I'm hoping this little one comes a bit early so they can at least meet him/her!) The shower was a bit bittersweet for me, knowing that my long time roomie, who knows all my quirks, is moving away. :o( Both of us mothers-to-be ended up in tears as she was leaving (ha ha, I'm sure the pregnancy hormones contributed a small bit to our emotions) but we're looking forward to many visits this summer where we will head to Portland and they will come stay with us here in Kirkland.


I planned a "tea party" for Jackie but for whatever reason it didn't occur to me that the weather might actually be warm at the end of May so I quickly changed the beverage I served to ICED tea. The rest of the menu included:


-Fresh watermelon, pineapple and strawberries
-Lemon Apricot Scones with cream and raspberry jam
-Curried Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches
-Cream Cheese and Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
-Chocolate Chunk Cake with a Light Cream Cheese Frosting
The Spread:
I hosted the shower at my in-laws's due to lack of space at my place. It was SO nice of the Croziers to give up their home for the afternoon and let us party there. Plus, my mother-in-law has so many fun tea toys (the tiered sandwich tower is hers).
I was really thankful to have Graham there for the set up. He was an amazing help whipping the patio into shape--I couldn't have been ready on time without him!
What beautiful weather!
Jackie, I love you dearly and best wishes to you as you begin this next adventure! (I will miss you tremendously though....you know that.)

2 comments:

  1. You made me all teary again, just reading this. I love you so much and am so grateful for your love, friendship and generosity. I felt so spoiled. You are the best, Kelsie. I can't wait to see you and introduce you to little Maddie Mae!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are looking so cute with that baby belly!!

    ReplyDelete