Tuesday, May 5, 2009

We're back!

We just arrived back from our "business trip" (for Graham) to San Antonio....the purpose of the trip was for Graham to attend the annual conference for oncology nurses but since I was able to go along as well, it became a little mini vacation. Graham had never been to San Antonio before so it was fun to show him around a little (although I had only been there for a total of about 36 hrs during my year in Texas). Anyway, can I just say that it is absolutely fabulous to travel as the "date" for work trips!!?? I was able to enjoy a 4 star vacation of relaxing, reading, swimming, sun bathing, eating and tons of walking and exercising and most of it was paid for!! We stayed at this awesome hotel right on the riverwalk called Hotel Contessa. Our room actually had two separate rooms--one that was more of a living room and another that was the bedroom.
The funny thing was, even though Graham asked for a king sized bed, we were given 2 doubles which was a crack up. Maybe they thought we were coworkers traveling together for the conference??? Anyway, Graham really wanted to push them together to make one giant bed but I felt the trench it would create would be far too uncomfortable so I just made him cuddle with me in one small bed. For those of you who know me at all, I a) can't sleep in past 6 or 7 AM and b) I am a very light sleeper and NEVER sleep through alarms and c) I can't take naps. Well, I think this trip may have helped us determine that our mattress is the culprit of these sleeping woes since successfully did all of the above at our hotel... So I think now we might be on the hunt for a new mattress (something I've been wanting ever since we got married)--hooray! I think I may even contact the hotel and find out what mattress exactly they use so we can buy the same one. :o)The riverwalk in San Antonio is so neat. Graham likened it to a never ending Disneyland ride or something of the sort. It feels sort of like it belongs in a fairytale with all the tour boats that float through and the restaurants and hotels that line the water's edge.
Of course you can't visit San Antonio without seeing the Alamo. To be honest, it is a bit anticlimactic as it is much smaller in real life than you would imagine. I was amazed to discover how much Graham knows about American history--he's a walking encyclopedia!
One night we took a really long walk away from downtown into the King William district which is a bunch of streets lined with beautiful old mansions. It was a little spooky at night though with the way they are lit up but also kind of cool. Doesn't this one look like a the haunted house at Disneyland? They were all very ornate.
The riverwalk became quite the busy place at nice. Most diners didn't come out to eat until about 8 PM so the river was hopping until past midnight. We enjoyed many waterfront meals of Tex-Mex cuisine, steak and BBQ all of which totally hit the spot in my pregnant belly. Graham and I definitely figured out how to work the system with the huge Texas-sized portions by sharing all of our meals. We both still ended up stuffed to the brim despite sharing one entree between us!
Oh yeah and a vacation is not a vacation without ice cream....this is one of the 3 times in 5 days that I got to indulge. :o)
Posing with some random statue on one of our many walks around the city.
Isn't he adorable?
RIBS!!!!! I have so been craving these! (And yes, we shared this platter) :o)
Our hotel had this amazing rooftop pool overlooking the city's skyscrapers. I spent the majority of the daytime hours while Graham was at the conference sunbathing and reading (I finished 1 1/2 books!) here or exercising.....Graham got to enjoy the pool here and there also. We had such great weather the entire time--in the 90s I'm sure. It was a bit cloudy and breezy which was great to offset the heat.
We got home just after 1 AM on Monday and had to get up for work at 5:30 AM....we have a very full week of working and fun before we leave next Monday for HAWAII!!!!! We certainly did not intentionally plan these 2 trips back to back but hey, I can't complain. It has been so good for me to take time away from my to-do lists, chores and baby prep at home and just spend time with my husband. We're trying to cherish all of these couple moments together before we become a threesome in a few short months.

2 comments:

  1. San Antonio looks awesome! I want an excuse to go there! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't traveling in your 2nd trimester awesome? Funny, I think I was 23 weeks when we went to San Antonio last November and you must be 20-something weeks now... I only wish we'd stayed at the hotel contessa - that place looked awesome. Have fun in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete