Wednesday, September 8, 2010

$$$ Talk

I really don't like money talk. And I mean really don't like it. People start talking figures and investments and my eyes start to glaze over and all I hear is "blah-dee blah blah." I wish I knew more about money, really I do. It isn't that I don't know how to save because actually I've always been pretty good at that. It's more that I feel I have a slight knowledge deficit when it comes to big "adult" financial issues like saving for college, stocks, bonds, real estate. Ick.

It's funny, if you want to talk food or medicine, talk away. I usually can contribute something remotely intelligent to the conversation. But bring up cars, home repairs and money and I become strangely silent. Unfortunately as someone who a) owns a car, b) owns a home and c) has (a little bit of) money, these topics can't be avoided.

It's great being married to a medical guy. We come home from work and talk about poo and puke over dinner and neither of us our phased. But on the flip side, this means that our knowledge spectrum overlap more than say a couple who work in business and construction and we end up doing a lot more consulting with friends or experts in these areas when we are trying to wrestle with tough decisions.

I'd say we've come a long way since we first got married but there are still plenty of moments where I want to take an "Investing for Dummies" course. I'd even read a book about it, if it's not too dry. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I don't want any of the "3 Steps to Becoming Rich" sort of stuff, just some down home, trustworthy advice on saving for college, the stock market, budgeting etc. This is a challenging time to be thinking about all these things given that we don't have lots of spare change with my working part time and Graham and school, but I still want to be planning for our future..

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsie,

    I understand your concern about not knowing much financially. I am the same way. :) I just let Justin take over and trust, but it is something I would like to be more aware of as well. Have you looked into any Dave Ramsey books? The program/book I am most aware of is his Financial Peace University. Although I think this book is more geared to get out of debt, it probably talks a lot about setting up your future. I know several people who have gone through his program and rave about it. Just a thought. Let me know if you come up with anything else!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron and I really want to do the Dave Ramsey course! I'd give it a shot if I were you. We're planning to go through his study starting in December.

    ReplyDelete