Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Restaurant "Bucket List"

I just love eating out but usually have the hardest time deciding where I'd like to go. I like to try new places but rarely can think of my "bucket list" of restaurants I want to try when put on the spot. Graham requested I create a written list that can easily be referred to when date night opportunity arises. So here we go, the beginning of my running list!

Spinasse - This place supposedly has the best homemade pasta in all of Seattle.
Sitka and Spruce - A newer restaurant that is receiving rave reviews.
Dahlia Lounge - A Tom Douglas restaurant. I've never eaten his food but he's pretty well known so figure I should try it!
Cactus - A Kirkland hotspot. Although it's not my typical gourmet-type dining choice, people rave about it and so I'd like to try it someday. We attempted to pay them a visit once but Graham wasn't feeling so hot and so we left before we'd even been seated.
poppy - This place seems fun with lots of little bites.
Tavolata - Another place that is supposed to have awesome homemade pastas.
Emmer and Rye - This place looks right up my alley, focusing on seasonal, local cuisine.
Dixies Barbeque - Someday I'd like to go here to "Meet the Man" as this place notoriously calls their HOT sauce. I also really would like to get my hands on a hush puppy and this seems like a pretty good bet.

But then there are always the tried and true favorites that are worth going back to. Here are a few of my top pics:

Eastside Favorites
Barking Frog Restaurant - Attached to the Willows Lodge. You really can't go wrong here. Everything I've ever eaten has been phenomenal. My favorite time to visit is during Seattle Restaurant Week or Dine Around Seattle because you can get 3 courses for quite a steal.
Cafe Juanita - Amazing Italian food served out of a deceptively-boring looking house in Kirkland. To. Die. For.
The Herb Farm - Probably the most expensive meal that will ever pass through my belly but also probably the most amazing dining experience of my life. If anyone ever wants to take me here again, I will love you forever and bake you cookies for life (or something). I am hopeful I will be able to find an occasion special enough to return here.
Purple Cafe and Wine Bar - The food here is always delicious and you can get out the door without breaking the bank, particularly if you bring your own bottle of wine (which they cork for free). My favorite location is the Woodinville one.
The Original Pancake House - I am a sucker for breakfast and this place usually hits the spot!
Gilbert's on Main - I love their weekday petite breakfasts and their gruyere and spinach bagels with whipped cream cheese and homemade jam make me drool.
Cantinetta - I've been to the Bellevue location once and can't wait to go back! It's hip and totally delicious.

Multiple Locations
Julia's - I've only been here for breakfast and the only thing I've ever ordered off their menu is the pancakes but I love them. And will continue to return for them. I always get the buckwheat cakes and order them with everything (blueberries, granola, poppy seeds, chocolate chips and pecans). These always make me a very happy girl.
Paseo - A hole in the wall Caribbean restaurant that serves the best sandwich I have ever eaten. Don't bother with the rice bowls and just order the sandwich marked "Most Popular." You won't regret it. It is amazing. Be sure to note their hours (they are closed Sun/Mon) and that they take cash only.
Pho Than Brothers - How can a meal be bad when it begins with a cream puff? This is another hole in the wall place with delicious pho soup. Squint when you enter (unfortunately cleanliness isn't always their focus) and order #3 (pho with eye of round and well done flank). Graham and I have been known for enjoying $7 date nights by splitting a large (the servings are HUGE!)

Seattle
Brad's Swingside Cafe - This place is so small it doesn't even have a website (but there is apparently one coming soon!) We have been here numerous times on special occasions and have never been disappointed. The Italian food served is complex-we were once told by a waiter that even the salad dressings have no less than 20 ingredients!! The chef sure knows how to marry flavors and I am a huge fan.
Long - This is a more upscale Vietnamese place but we always leave surprised at how inexpensive our total bill is. We like to go here with friends and share various dishes family style. Their spring rolls are delicious and I certainly wouldn't leave without ordering the Grilled Beef Short Ribs or the Braised Savory Coconut in Browned Pork (I think they meant Browned Pork Braised with Savory Coconut...)
Salumi - We've only been here once but their artisan-cured meats are mouth-watering (and I didn't think I liked salami!) We ate salami sandwiches but were also told their meatball sandwiches are worth returning for. They are open for lunch only on Tuesday-Friday and we've been warned to get there early as a line usually forms to circle the block.
Barolo Ristorante - I've been here for happy hour on a couple of occasions but have never dined in the restaurant. The atmosphere is fun with candles dripping wax everywhere and it is usually jam-packed. I recall really enjoying the lamb burger.

4 comments:

  1. I have to chime in on your bucket list :)

    Dahlia Lounge is my favorite restaurant in Seattle, hands down. Rotating menu, chef's whims, amazing every time.

    Cactus is also quite tasty, and I'm always pleasantly surprised how non-"American Mexican" it is.

    Emmer and Rye= delicious. Farroh (sp?) fries= to die for.

    While Barolo happy hour is great, I was sadly quite disappointed with their actual menu. You are, however, a more adventurous eater than I, so it may be more up your ally :)

    Happy Eating,
    Britta

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Crush? That is on my list...plus some more of the chinese & szechuan places I've read about and can't remember right now.

    We just took Shauna & Pete to Long this weekend and we loved it! We had never been....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. I meant to also say I totally agree with the rest of your list, all those are places I love or want to try!! (although I don't know many of the kirkland ones)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, these places seem great! One of these days, I’ll try to make my bucket list too. There really is a restaurant that suits the mood of every occasion. And, there are also restaurants that you can’t seem to forget because of their exquisite breakfast experience. I know that because I also have a favorite pancake diner that serves the best sweet cream pancakes. =)

    Berenice Ponder

    ReplyDelete