Friday, August 5, 2011

What's for dinner?

I love my post-grocery shopping fridge. Opening the door and seeing my produce and cheese drawers bursting at the seams always fills me with great excitement for the week of meals to come. Although the process of menu planning isn't my favorite, I LOVE the satisfaction of having a week's worth of food ready and waiting. I'm pretty sure every time I grocery shop I think to myself "Oh, I should blog about this!" But then I never get around to it. I'm making no guarantees but this may be my first installment of a new theme of blog posts entitled "What's for dinner?" Maybe I can inspire you to try something new?

Today I was able to stop off at Bill Pace Fruit & Produce stand in Bellevue which I adore. I always leave that place with at least 3 jam-packed bags of produce for usually only ~$15-20. Most of it is local and all of it is delicious. Today's steals included fresh peaches, organic lettuce, green beans, pattypan squash, grapefruits and oranges, carrots, red bell peppers and a yellow watermelon. Ok people so I have a new favorite food: yellow watermelon. Oh. My. Goodness. Pregnancy brings about a strange obsession with watermelon in me but seriously, this was the best melon I have ever tasted. It was grown in Yakima and absolutely dripping juice everywhere. It was so sweet and wonderful that I almost made Graham stop on his way home from work to buy at least 3 more. Amazing!

It's going to be a busy week over here as I'm working FIVE whole days which = full time! Yes, as a matter of fact, I AM trying to put myself into labor. I haven't worked this much for precisely two years so it made my menu planning a bit more challenging. I think I settled on a good mix of quick and easy, make ahead and slow-cooker options, at least for my work nights. Here is what we'll be eating over the course of the week:

-Zucchini, Bacon and Mozzarella Quiche using zucchini from my very own garden
-Udon Noodle Salad with Broccoli and Spicy Tofu
-Seared Asian Steak & Mushrooms on Mixed Greens w/ a Ginger Dressing along w/ a Tomato, Feta & Basil Galette
-Cilantro Garlic Ribs, Rice, Sauteed Pattypan Squash with Basil and Feta
-Slow-Simmered Meat Sauce (Beef & Spicy Italian Sausage) over Bowties
-Fusilli Salad with Green Beans, Pistachios and a Lemon-Thyme Vinaigrette

Is anyone drooling as much as I am? All of these recipes are completely new to me so I make no guarantees but personally I think they sound delicious! I also have plans to make a few pre-baby freezer meals but I'll leave that for another post. Hope you're indulging in all the goodies this season has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment