Wednesday, October 31, 2012

6 Years Ago

Six years ago today, we closed on our very first home. And six years later, we are still here! Our 1-2 year plan in our townhome didn't quite pan out as we'd hoped, but I'm choosing to celebrate it today all the same. Truth be told, we cannot wait to find a house with the capacity for hosting, a garage, a dining room, party parking, space for vegetable beds and maybe even kids toys that are larger than a 1 foot square cube. But when that exciting time comes for us to trade our keys in for a new set, I know I will weep. So many memories have formed here!
 
Christmas' as newlyweds
 
Real wood fires (sometimes complete with s'mores!)
 
Remodeling projects
 
Countless special meals
 
Cherished visitors
 
Our first pregnancy
 
My "haven"
 
The nursery before
 
 
And then after
 
 Bringing babies home (yes he wore the same shirt both times)

And then the nursery rearranged to accommodate two!
 
The living room (read: play room)
 
 The tiny plot out back that I affectionately refer to as "my garden"

Recently, we were lamenting our decision to buy when we did, though it truly was the best and most (only actually) affordable option at the time. I left the conversation feeling very unsettled and unsure. The next day, I pulled into our parking spot at the same time as one of the neighbors. He moved in recently and we've had a number of brief interactions but nothing much beyond casual introductions and friendly greetings. Isla wanted to say hi so we stopped and chatted for a couple minutes. He was about to go inside and I returned to unload the car when he stopped and turned around. "I feel like I'm just supposed to say this to you. You know, don't you, that you guys have the best unit here? You've made the backyard into a beautiful haven. I feel like I'm supposed to tell you that you guys are going to be okay. Keep up the faith!"
 
I was nearly speechless. Never before have I felt God speak so directly to me through another human being. But the timing was incredible. I'd never discussed my faith with this neighbor before but somehow he knew and his words were just the reminder I needed in that moment. 
 
Our place is a blessing and while we are in these four walls, I hope we can continue to use it to build memories and bless others!

3 comments:

  1. Aww, that made me tear up at the end. :) I love the beautiful pictures (tour) of your home - it is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting us in your beautiful home on Tuesday! It is so warm and inviting and stylish. I kept wondering, "Do kids really live here? Where is the chaos?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful for your home and the many times you have welcomed us into it!

    ReplyDelete