Friday, October 26, 2012

"Can you hold me?"

This morning, my three-year-old was playing busily in the living room while I cleaned up the breakfast mess. Suddenly, she came running into the kitchen pleading "Mommy, can you hold me?" She has made this request on a number of recent occasions, seemingly out of no where. I've been caught off guard as she has never been one to cuddle. But of course I took her up on the opportunity and scooped her into my arms. It lasted all of two seconds and then she was squirming to get down and be on her merry way.

Now, hours later, this scenario is striking a deep chord in me. It's dreary outside and I'm having a bad hair day (bad hair year actually, if we're being honest). There are holes in both of my socks but I have no other options because the laundry pile is a bit backed up. I'm worried about whether or not we should refinance. I'm suffering from a sleep deficit after waking up at 3 AM and finding myself unable to return to sleep. And, to top it all off, last night I paid the tuition bill for the quarter and watched as the money it took three years (3 years!) to stash away disappeared, just like that. It's just one of those days where life feels totally, completely overwhelming. I want to run and hide and resurface when life feels a bit easier.

I had a brief moment of alone time while I was driving this afternoon and so I cranked the radio, longing for God to speak to me through the music. When that left me still feeling a bit empty, I opened the Bible and hoped that I'd stumble upon a nugget to cling to and encourage me today. I'd hoped the verses I read would say just what I needed to hear to draw me out of the funk I feel today. But they didn't.

Then I had flashbacks of this morning when Isla asked "Mommy, can you hold me?" A wave of realization washed over me as I understood that I too share her desire. I want to be held. I need to be held. And, thankfully, I have a heavenly Father who wants to hold me, who is just waiting with arms open for a the asking. How do I so easily forget? He loves me desperately. He loves me deeply. And He has a wonderful plan for my family. This is where my security and rest come from when the going gets tough.

Oh how grateful am I for my sweet, sweet children who daily help point me to Jesus!

2 comments:

  1. Great insight, Kelsie! And hugs to you from me. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this, Kelsie! You are an amazing momma, wife, friend, and follower of Christ. I am praying for you friend. Our children are amazing examples of Christ. What a great reminder too. Love you.

    ReplyDelete