Sunday, October 7, 2012

Emma: 13 Months


My sweet second born has me totally wrapped around her little finger! When I am sitting on the floor, she often crawls up into my lap and gets in my face and says "Hi!" or "Mama!" I love her dearly and she's finding ways to communicate that the feeling is mutual. She's quirky, funny and snugly all in one cute package.
 
Her vocabulary is growing! Her word lists includes: she's added doggy, kitty (I'm told she learned this one while we were away), and mama to the mix.
She is a pro at climbing stairs and has almost mastered coming back down. She's pretty good at yelling for help if she can't figure it out (there have been a couple of occasions where she just sat at the top of the stairs squawking until I came and carried her down - did we luck out or what!?)
 
She is cruising everywhere and can stand alone for a couple of seconds (though it only happens by accident). She loves pushing our shopping cart around the living room and has progressed to walking while holding only one hand. But in the end, crawling is still her default!
Emma has also started standing in crib which is super fun. She knows how to sit back down fine when pulling up on furniture but somehow "forgets" when she is in the crib. It's been fun (read: she basically only napped for ~20 min at a time all month because she'd get "stuck" standing). She was ridiculously overtired and so was I so I put my foot down and did some sleep training after we returned from our trip. We've had a couple 2 hour naps this week (what? that's possible?) which has been wonderful!
She sleeps through the night so I count my blessings! She's an early riser but usually will go down at 7 PM and sleep until ~6:45 AM. She understands so much these days and has learned to put her binky in the bed when asked after she wakes as we are weaning down the binky usage.
 
It's looking like Emma's going to be our musician. She LOVES Graham's ukulele (she thinks it's HERS) and the other day I found her under the guest bed with just her little bum and legs sticking out, trying to retrieve it from it's storage place. She knows where we keep it! She's pretty good at picking and makes sing song sounds while she plays. I think she's been watching her sister because she's learning some dance moves too. She loves to wave her arms to music.
Remember that 2nd tooth that I said was so close to cutting through last month (our doctor said was just HOURS away on Sept 6th)? Well, it finally emerged....on Sept 29th! My kids must hold the Guinness book of world records for being the slowest teethers. But, now Emma is sporting a second pearly white on the bottom left (see above).

Emma loves to try and dress herself and now that she can reach Isla's bottom drawer, she's constantly emptying the contents all over their room, balancing socks on her head or wrapping shirts around her neck. She also really likes to help me with the laundry. She specializes in the underwear which she turns into necklaces 100% of the time.
Emma is taking whole milk wonderfully which is good because I officially weaned her at the beginning of September so she could spend a week with her grandparents!
I've been trying to teach Emma animal sounds. She's picked up on my bird noise and whenever she sees a bird in a book, she starts making this high-pitched shrieking sound. It is adorable! She continues to love to read books and her current favorites are Tails, 10 Little Monkeys  and a pet book that she got for her 1st birthday.
I just love her crazy hair! Doesn't it look like we style it in a hip pixie cut? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment