Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Isla 49 Months


This bundle of personality is getting so big! We had the sweetest conversation the other night about heaven. She wanted to know if there would be food in heaven and I told her there would be FEASTS! A little later, she wanted to know more and I said that there would be no more sadness or tears or crying or hunger....at which point she cut me off and said, "But if there's going to food, we're gonna be hungry!" What a very smart girl.
She's all about mommy. In her dream world, I think I would go everywhere with her and always been the one to put her to bed. We are encouraging more one-on-one time between daddy and her but she told me the other day she "mostly likes to do things with him in the Fall like sledding." This one is a work in progress....
Isla girl has developed quite the imagination! My sister kindly chose the word imaginative vs calling her a liar. We've heard some "creative stories" lately that she claims to be 100% true but seem a bit questionable - like that she threw up a breakfast while at the Hertzogs or that they saw monkeys at the fair... We have been told some outright lies in relation to her behavior though too so we're working on that. The other day I spotted something dark brown around her lips and asked what it was. She told me it was "leftover dirt from when we were gardening yesterday." Hmm. It was later that night that she came downstairs 45 minutes after I had put her to bed to tell me I needed to put the chocolate chips up on a higher shelf so that she couldn't reach them. Ha!
Her brief phase of taking occasional naps is gone again. She does seem to really need the "quiet" time to herself and will ask for it at times (especially when there is a toy she wants to play with by herself!) 

The other day I set out some new pjs in her drawer and she was almost beyond herself with excitement. She asked who had gotten them for her and was saying this like "I LOVE owls! I just love polka dots!" As she was putting them off, she exclaimed "Just a second Mom. I'm going to give you a hug and a kiss!" She's a sweetie!
She is obsessed with band-aids and always tells me she's bleeding. Usually after "quiet" time, there are band-aid wrappers everywhere for the wounds she developed while reading up there? She did have 3 immunizations at her (late) 4 year appointment last week though. Her eyes welled up with huge crocodile tears and it was the first time I think I've ever really seen her honestly and truly scared (unfortunately she looked just in time to watch the needles go in and blood drip down her arm...) She took it like a champ and I think in the end her mother was more heartbroken than her so we all had a frozen yogurt treat that night (again, I think we won the parents of the year award in her book!)

Dr: "What do you do in the car to stay safe?"

Isla: "Wear a seatbelt!"
Dr: "What do you do when you ride your bike to stay safe?"
Isla: "Wear a helmet!"
Dr: "What do you do when you cross the street to stay safe?"
Isla: "Hold up a flag!"
LOL. This girl must have grown up walking downtown Kirkland...

I introduced Isla to the idea of turning her pages and pages of artwork into books (patting myself on the back for that one!) She loves the idea and I'm sure will have authored a whole series by oh, say, tomorrow. At her appointment, the doctor asked her to draw a person and apparently she draws like a 5 year old! It was deemed so because she accessorized (added shoes and curly hair!) and the arms she drew were coming out of the right spot - who knew?!

She is MADE for preschool! Last week she was yelling out her goodbyes from the car to a couple of new friends she's made. I love watching this happen!

Isla figured out how to get start pedaling on her bike on by herself this week. Hooray!
She dresses herself totally and completely and has her own ideas of what "matches." She loves to set out her outfits the night before but usually changes her mind again by the time morning rolls around. She likes to accessorize and the sock choice gets me every time...
Isla is SO excited to be a big sister again and asks regularly why the baby isn't here yet. She's an awesome playmate to Emma and I know she'll be a big help when baby is here. This girl is something else and I love her to pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment