Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Eve 2013

Isla asked me the other day "When are we going to have Christmas at OUR house?" So we quickly made plans to exchange our gifts to one another at home together on Christmas Eve morning. We nearly tortured the kids with how long it took us to get ready.
Then I prolonged the torture by requiring a family photo before we dove in (I always HATED this part of the process as a kid and now look at me doing it to my own children!) 
Graham informed me that I've been doing it "wrong" all these years and that we had to start with stockings first.
Jack and his tube sock "stocking"
His enthusiasm didn't last for long!
After gifts the girls made quick work of making sure the entire living room floor was covered with toys.
Someday (maybe next year?) I hope to cook extravagant meals for Christmas. This year was not that year but I wanted to make things a little more special than usual. I have such fond memories of my mom pulling out the table cloths and nice napkins for Christmas Eve and Christmas and I'm hoping my kids will enjoy these "extras" as much as I did. For our brunch, I quickly grabbed a runner and cloth napkins from my tiny supply. They love candles and we'd finished burning down our Advent candle while opening presents so I pulled out a couple fresh white ones which were a hit with Emma. Our menu included our favorite Banana Pancakes with Pineapple with Creme Fraiche, spicy Italian sausage links and coconut strawberry smoothies complete with straws (thanks Isla!)
 After brunch we went on family Starbucks date and walk downtown Kirkland. The weather couldn't have been more gorgeous (though don't let Isla's attire completely fool you...) Emma brought (drug) her new Christmas monkey along for the ride.
I love this shot!
The afternoon was lovely and low key and we returned home for naps before the fun continued into the evening...

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fabulous family day!Stockings are a must to open before the gifts!

    ReplyDelete