Monday, December 16, 2013

Cool Mom

I volunteered in Isla's preschool classroom for the first time today. It was quite the morning and I came to a number of conclusions in approximately 3.46 seconds: 

1) I could never be a preschool teacher.
2) In particular, I could never be a substitute preschool teacher.
3) I am thankful that other people are called to teach.
4) Recess is in fact a crucial part of school, even when "school" is only a total of 3 hours in length.
5) Sometimes you just gotta drop a couple things off the agenda and hone in on one.
6) Kids are capable of quite a number of responsibilities, some kids that is.
7) Thankfully my child seems to be quite well behaved (I'll be honest, I was a bit nervous!)

Isla's teacher was sick so they had a substitute which meant the day was not a true representation of the usual "norm" (thankfully because I think I left with a blood pressure of 160/110!!) It was more or less like the blind leading the blind but everyone survived (phew!) and I needed a nice long run alone afterward to unwind. 

All that being said though, I was pondering what an incredible opportunity it was to be in Isla's classroom. Isla was thrilled to have me and looked forward to it with great anticipation all last week. This morning she told me ever so sweetly, "I'm going to sit at whatever table you are helping at!" Even now as I sit here nursing Jack, I hear Isla in the next room proudly telling the party gathered that I volunteered in her class today. I never would have guessed how meaningful this would be to her!

Last night as I was nervously (yes nervously-I was homeschooled! I don't know how school works!) thinking about helping out, it hit me like a load of bricks that it won't be long before she won't want to hug me in front of her friends. Or when introducing me to them will be the last thought on her mind. Or when she will be too embarrassed to be seen rolling into school in our sweet ride (a mini van). Those days are far too near I'm sure! 'Twas a good reminder today to savor these very limited years when, maybe for the first time in my life, I'm actually cool!

1 comment:

  1. So many reasons I love this post. :). And i resonate with so much of what you feel. That's one reason we loved our co-op experience last year with Maddie, because we were in her school 2-3 times a month, and able to participate with her, before she doesn't want us around anymore. ;). Happy you had this chance!

    ReplyDelete