Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Isla 74 Months

You guys. Last month, I think for the first time in my 74 month career of motherhood, I skipped my monthly kid posts. GASP. And, as you can imagine, the perfectionist in me is having a bit of a holy freaking cow. I mean, once your track record drops below 100%, there's no way of ever redeeming it completely which is just so downright depressing that I might as well totally give up now. (Seriously, these are the sorts of crazy thoughts that run through my mind. You type A's are tracking with me, I know!)

 ANYway, I dunno. For awhile there I was thinking I would do away with my monthly posts for fear I was boring the world with far too much detail about my kids but then my heart just couldn't stand the thought of not chronicling every important milestone in their lives. These little people mean the world to me and they are so freaking cool that I just have to get back in the saddle and record their goings and doings. So here goes...

My Isla pie. Probably one of the reasons I skipped my posts last month was because I had my nose buried in a book about raising a spirited child. Isla is most certainly one of 'em and her spirit and I have had more than a few run ins on recent occasions. I'm working hard to understand her better each day and figure out what makes her tick and keeps her going.

Lately, she is an aspiring author. I love how she is just going for it and sounding out words to the best of her ability. I have to laugh because the other day she wrote me a note saying how made he was at dad because her made her wear her "tits" and she didn't want to. Tights, tits. Same difference. I have to buy reams of printer paper to keep up with the 25 page books she is constantly writing and stapling together. She plans to write both fiction and non-fiction and I think would like to drop out of school so she could pursue this endeavor. I encouraged her to clean off her desk so she could have her own private space for pumping out her novels. She has been on cloud 9 with her new set up and I have been quite pleased by the increased room cleanliness that this suggestion provided. Win, win.
Quality time is definitely one of her love languages and I think I could spend an entire day talking with her and she would still lay her head on the pillow, begging for me to come and talk some more. I'm trying really hard to savor this can't-get-enough-of-mommy period because I know it is a season and will soon fade. I'm thinking I might capitalize on her love of writing and maybe she and I could do a joint "work" date at Starbucks sometime soon where we both spend our time writing.  

In the spirit of entrepreneurship, Isla plans to sell her books here very soon and will use the earnings to fund a few of her interests. She has been saving coins for Children's Hospital for quite some time now and I need to make a point of planning a little visit over to Seattle with her to donate the contents of her piggy bank. (Hopefully the front desk accepts coins!) She also plans to give some money to church and to an orphanage and then spend the remainder on a Littlest Pet Shop toy jet she has been obsessing over for months. You gotta love her giving heart!

I got to volunteer in Isla's class for the first time this year and we had a blast. I tried super hard to be the "cool" mom and I think I succeeded because I somehow landed the role of starting and stopping the music for the Halloween party musical chairs station. She said I did awesome and that my station was her favorite. Phew. For the first time ever, I WAS ACTUALLY COOL IN SCHOOL. Now I can die happy. She was so excited to have me and I know a 6 year old's affirmation probably shouldn't carry so much weight but I'm telling you, IT DOES! 

I can tell my little extrovert does need a little time to herself in the hours after school. We are struggling with the witching hours tremendously and I'm hoping less screaming is in our future. I just read an awesome book entitled Siblings Without Rivalry and I'm really hopeful we can nip the intense rivalry between her and her sister in the bud here fast. Also, we need to find some quick solutions for making the helping-with-homework sessions go better. Let's just say these moments have confirmed for me all the more that I was not intended to homeschool her.   

And a few more tidbits:
She's about to lose her first tooth
She plans to have the tooth fairy come live with us after
She's super sensitive to loud noises
She can tie her own shoes now
She makes friends very easily
Her biggest fear is the car drop off at school 
She is convinced the school keeps moving the double doors she is supposed to go through
She's an awesome helper and party planner
She is super responsible and we love her a lot

No comments:

Post a Comment