Sunday, November 1, 2015

Happy Halloween (an Ode to our Dentist)

Happy Halloween from the Crozier Clan! The past couple weeks have been packed with trips to the pumpkin patch, sewing projects, class parties, orange and black foods and lots of dressing up and pretending we are someone other than ourselves. Mama had a bit of fun this year with themed costumes for the trio. It was never my intent but I must have felt a subconscious need to butter up to the dentist this year. Isla is on the verge of losing her very first tooth and so has developed a tooth fairy obsession. When she announced that she was going to dress up as such for Halloween, I set to work figuring out how we would distinguish her from just any old fairy. Thanks to Pinterest, voila! Costume ideas for the other two were born. 
 
Jack wouldn't even let his tooth costume touch him until 10 seconds before we headed out trick or treating but when I bribed him with candy and getting to ring people's doorbells, he conceded. (Third kid = occasional food bribe. Even for dietitians. Do as I say, not as I do!)
As tradition would have it, it was POURING down rain on Halloween and Graham and his dad were busy working on our front porch so the kids and I drove each other crazy, err, I mean ran errands wearing all sorts of fun clothing combinations from the dress up bin. Which really isn't that abnormal for us except we didn't get as many weird looks since it was Halloween after all and "special" outfits were expected. 
Of course our evening plans included my annual Black and Orange Dinner which is always such a blast to put together. We opted to make it a party with friends and the kids were super excited. After 20 minutes before our guests were slated to arrive, the kids realized WE NEVER CARVED OUR PUMPKINS!!!
Oops. I sort of "forgot" and didn't realize it was so important to the tribe. I was busy getting food ready and the obvious response to their insanely messy request was a big fat no. Except I heard the word "yes" slip from the Mr's mouth. Which is another one of the hundreds of reasons why I married him. He's helping me become a yes parent when NO seems like the logical answer.
 And sure enough, the pumpkins were carved and the mess cleaned up before any of the company arrived. 
 And our kids were so happy.
 I mean, just look at 'em! 
 The rest of our evening was so much fun. The menu included orange carrots, orange peppers, black chips, orange mango salsa, black olives, black raisins, and Cuban Rice Bowls (black rice, orange sweet potatoes, black beans, orange cheddar cheese, "black" meat), roasted orange carrots and golden beets and Orange Basil Mojitos.
 I'm pretty sure the 8 kiddos present only ate chips and candy but the evening was a blast! We closed it out with trick or treating in our awesome neighborhood as the adults attempted the "herding" approach to keep all the kids somewhat "together." The highlight for the 4 two-year-olds was definitely ringing the doorbells and it certainly didn't matter whether the door was open or closed - each on rang that bell anyways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment