Saturday, November 15, 2008

Half Job Offer

It's probably time I write an update about my job situation....Apparently the Children's Center job (in Everett) had a lot more applicants than was expected so the interview process took longer than planned. On Thursday, I received a call from the manager, apologizing for the delay and asking for references. I gave her references but meanwhile was thinking "Oh shoot what do I do!? What do I say!? Do I tell her?" In other words, I'd decided a couple weeks back NOT to take the job and had been debating whether or not to let them know before I heard from them or wait until I received a call and then tell them. Well, the decision was made for me! The manager told me that I was their top candidate and that she needed to go through the process of contacting my references and after that, would be offered the job. Of course then she asked if I was still interested. I told her I was thrilled to be the top candidate but that a lot had changed since I initially interviewed. She was very understanding and told me that having me in the NICU is important to them too as my patients there are the ones that are referred to them and so we kind of work together already and they like what I do.
So what changed to make me stay!?? There were a number of factors. I was honestly so ready to go, was feeling burnt out and tired and was 98% sure that I would accept a new job if offered. But I really feel that, for some reason, God wasn't ready for me to leave yet and in the end, He made it pretty clear. I had reached the point where I had a bad attitude about work and was having a hard time seeing the positive aspects but it was like all of that changed overnight. Graham and I had a lot of long conversations about what is most important to us and it came down to the fact that we really both need Sundays off. We love our church and are so refreshed every time we are able to attend and serve together.
When Shona, the dietitian I job share with, found out that Sundays were a huge part of the issue, she offered to trade for one of my Sundays so that I will only have to work one/month (I'd been told back in August by my manager that having more weekends off was not an option). I had a wonderful conversation with her (whose previous careers were in upper management) in which she said a lot of very kind things and basically begged me to stay.
Meanwhile, all of a sudden I felt excited by my job and even challenged (which is huge for me). I realized that I am never going to find a group of staff who are as incredible as the ones I work with now---seriously they are like a huge extended family to me and it has been pretty neat to have them know me before I was engaged (okay, so that was only for like a month), when I was engaged, and now as a newlywed. They are a great group of people and I really feel like I'm having opportunities to minister to them as I get to know them better.
Once I decided to stay, I was brave and sat down with my supervisor and told her some of the things that could be done to make my job better, to help me continue to grow and develop. I'd realized that it wasn't fair of me to expect her to just know what I need and then be upset when she didn't provide it (arrggg, that passive aggressive thing never works!)
All in all, I am so thankful for my job and am excited to see why God had me stay. I'm thankful that He gave me a new perspective and attitude and is providing positive encouragement and feedback along the way to keep me going.

Sorry for the lost post but for those of you still....and they lived happily ever after..... :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment