Saturday, November 8, 2008

I jinxed myself!

So since my last post about NOT cooking, something crazy happened. I've been cooking freezer meals on and off for random people over the past year but have not had any consistent clients since the spring. Awhile back, one of the nurses at work found out that I make freezer meals and asked me to make 7 dinners for her. I did it and it went went and that was that. That was over 3 months ago.

Well apparently, Thursday night after I left work, this nurse had a conversation with a few other NICU staff that I make freezer meals. NEWS SPREADS LIKE WILDFIRE AROUND THAT PLACE!!!! I walked into work on Friday morning (having no idea about the conversation that had gone on the night before) and was almost immediately approached by 2 staff members, asking if I could give them a list of the freezer entree options that I offer. As the day went on, a couple more people were asking me about the meals. And then today, a whole new group of people were working and somehow the word spread to them. Everyone was asking for a list of meal choices. I had 3 people sign up for meals on the spot and have at least 2 more who plan to give me their "order" tomorrow and then about 3-4 more who are going to look over the options and get back to me. Holy cow--what have I got myself into??!! I'm super excited by the possibility and am sort of in shock that it was so easy to get this many people interested. And to think I did NO advertising! I am definitely working with the right group of people--busy moms working 12 hour shifts who don't arrive home until 8 PM and need easy, healthy dinner options for their kids/husband at home. I don't anticipate many of these "clients" will be consistently ordering meals on a biweekly basis (thankfully!) so I think if I stagger everyone, I can handle the load. Especially if a couple people want the same entree, I can just make a big batch and split it into 2 dishes....We'll see what happens!

So if this many people are desperate for meals, I'm going to have to expand my options. I came home today and in 2 hours flat, prepared and froze the following:

Spicy Grilled Chicken with Lemon Rice Pilaf
Asian Sirloin Steaks w/ Hoisin Sauce and Sesame Seeds
Herbed Lime Chicken
Pork Loin Chops w/ Pears and Cranberries
Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
Ham and Gruyere Strata w/ Turkey Bacon

6 comments:

  1. oh wow, I wish my freezer looked like that! I just signed up to do my first "dream dinners" thing where you get to make a bunch of frozen meals at the store. I used to do it on weekends, but alas...time is in short supply these days. I love all your healthy ones though, a lot at the store did not sound super healthy. Good luck!
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness! I think I should confess that the picture I posted (unfortunately) is NOT my actual freezer. Although mine is packed full, it is not quite so neat. I like posts with pictures so I stole one from the internet rather than taking my own. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those meals sound super yummy! Want to send some to Utah?? :o) I'm having such a hard time cooking for 1 these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, I wondered about that.... I still wish my freezer looked like that though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow- that is SO AWESOME Kelsie! Isn't it so cool to feel like you can fill such an important need in people's lives!! I hope it turns into lots of regular business for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you need a website for your meals!

    ReplyDelete