Saturday, December 5, 2009

My November Project

For our first Christmas as a married couple, I dug out my 4-H sewing skills and made Graham and I each a hand-stitched (because I don't own a sewing machine), quilt-style stocking. Shortly after Isla was born, I realized I'd be repeating the process and my goal was to finish hers by Thanksgiving. I had the hardest time deciding whether to merge the green fabrics from Graham's......
and the red fabrics from mine.....

or just do something completely different. I ended up going with the latter. Although it is hard to tell from this photo, Isla's fabrics all have a cream base with red, green and sparkly gold. It's rather elegant up close.

I've been looking for stocking hangers for THREE YEARS but never found anything a) that I liked and b) that was affordable. I keep coming across those hangers that come as a set that spells P-E-A-C-E or J-O-Y. As Graham and I were shopping for some on Wednesday, I told him that if we were going to invest in these hangers, we'd have to decide right here, right now, in the Target aisle, how many kids were are going to have. I mean, how would you feel as the 4th child in a family that purchased the five P-E-A-C-E hangers? You'd feel jipped having to sport the hanger "that is not like the other!" Since Graham was not ready to number our offspring, we purchased some basic hooks (which were really what I wanted all along) and headed off. Now our stocking hang by the fire with care!

2 comments:

  1. Your stockings are adorable. I have been having a hard time finding ones I like for the family that match. I might just have to borrow your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH THEY ARE ADORABLE!! I love them!! Can't wait to talk to you, fried.

    ReplyDelete