Friday, December 4, 2009

So I've Taken Up Running


I've eluded to this fact a couple times in previous posts and keep meaning to blog about it but there seems to be very little free time these days where I have two hands available to type....Anyway, so for those of you who know me well, you know that I've never been a runner. I've always HATED running. They used to call me "Tomato Face" when I played basketball in middle school because my face would get, well, tomato red from running. I found the average runner to be a bit obsessive about it all which bothered me, and I just didn't really see the point (For you runners out there, don't hate me yet. Let me finish!) But as a dietitian and a professional who values health and well-being, I always felt a little guilty about not running. I've tried to become a runner on a couple of occasions. Once in college, I decided I wanted to run a marathon. I put on my shoes, went outside, and ran for pretty much the first time ever. BAM! I hated every minute of it. Nah, running a marathon wouldn't be so great afterall. That was the end of that.

Come 2009, I guess I'm a new girl! I'm a mom now, I guess that's probably what came over me. I wanted to lose the last few pounds of baby weight and knew that I needed to step it up a notch. I was also going a bit stir crazy being inside all day and all I had was my Moby Wrap or Snap and Go stroller to carry Isla, neither of which are very condusive to exercise. I convinced Graham that a jogger stroller would be in our best interest so that I could really get out and do some hard core exercising. He ever-so-lovingly let me buy a very pricey stroller, the BOB Revolution, on an extremely tight budget (1/2 of it was paid for with gift money from Graham's amazing coworkers!) I felt guiltly about such an indulgent purchase that I cut way back on groceries and somehow shaved off $200 from our monthly spending so that that money could go toward the stroller!! How I did that, I'm not entirely sure. I made a huge effort to use 100% of every ingredient I purchased and I used up some stuff I had stored away in the freezer...

Anyway, armed with my bright orange stroller, I found a running plan online for beginners that involves intervals of walking and running to start. I am running three times a week with the intervals of running increasing as each week passes. I'll be starting week 4 next week and by golly, I'm enjoying myself! I guess I've always despised running because I've tried to go from 0 to 60 without any training and my body complained. Now that I'm easing my way into it, it's not so bad! By the end of this 9 week program, I should be able to run a 5K. I'm currently not signed up to run an organized race but I may just do that if the opportunity presents itself....

4 comments:

  1. Wahoo!!! Good for you, Kelsie! You're doing it right: take it slow with walk/run intervals. Eventually lessen the walking and increase the running. Enjoy it and best of luck preparing for your 5k. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kelsie! Good for you! I'm always impressed by those moms I see jogging and pushing a stroller...and now you're one of them! NICE WORK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome kels!! Good for you! I find it very difficult for myself to want to go running when it is SOO cold outside...of course it probably isn't as cold here in santa cruz as it is in Seattle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! That's the program I did and it was the perfect pace for the non-runner. I need to get back to it though...I've been slacking since returning from Italy.

    How's the stroller? Is it pretty easy to push? (guess you haven't tried mine in order to be able to compare...but still...an overview for me would be helpful lol)

    And if you want to sign up for a 5k around here - I'll sign up with you (that will get me back out there again). Having accountability in running is pretty helpful (I've found).

    ReplyDelete