Friday, March 2, 2012

It's that time of year again...

It's almost spring! And we all know what that means.....time to put some seeds in the soil! I'm excited because in a couple weeks we will celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. Apparently the traditional gift for 5 years of marriage is something made of wood so how perfect is it that I would request a new garden planter this year? My father-in-law ever so kindly agreed to make me one and I plan to try my thumb at square foot gardening, thanks to the recommendation of my mom. I have a book on hold at the library that I hope will offer a little more insight but it seems like a pretty effective way of growing the most bang for my buck in my limited space. My planter is going to be 2' x 6' which will give me 12 squares to work with. I just placed an order last night for the following: bush beans, both red and golden beets, a broccoli seed that is sort of a cross between traditional broccoli and broccoli rabe, carrots, arugula, a variety of lettuces (including romaine) and kale. I am so excited (and hopeful!) that I will be successful. I plan to do hanging tomato plants and strawberries again and will probably add some cilantro, basil and maybe chives somewhere in there as well. I moved my rhubarb out of a planter and into one of my garden beds at the end of last year and was pleased to see some buds on it yesterday. Hooray! I didn't kill it!

No comments:

Post a Comment