Friday, March 23, 2012

The Living Room

Our living room has been in desperate need of a little pick-me-up. We painted a lipstick red accent wall when we first moved in which we both have loved. But after spending a dark winter almost entirely at home while on maternity leave, I questioned whether we should go back to a more neutral color to add some cheer and make the room feel bigger. In the end, Graham still wanted to keep the wall red so I had to attack something else to satisfy my need for change. We purchased our Pottery Barn couch on Craigslist awhile back and it came with these drab, orangy-brown throw pillows "from Singapore" (or so we were told). Graham's always hated them and I got so used to them I never really noticed they didn't even match the room! When I was ordering the fabric for my dining chairs, I needed to spend only a few more dollars in order to get free shipping so thought, Why not pick out something to use to recover the pillows? I found this blog which I followed to make the easy-to-remove patterned covers and I was able to whip one out in less time than it took to watch an episode of Portlandia. Ironically enough, the blogger used a fabric nearly identical to the one I'd chosen! I just so happened to be at Costco last week and spotted the solid red pillows that matched perfectly and were CHEAP so I grabbed 'em. I couldn't have recovered mine for that price.

Here is the living room with the old hodge podge of pillows BEFORE:
 And now AFTER:
Next up? The lampshades!!

2 comments: