Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine's Bomb

By all outward appearances (and these pictures), it may seem that we had the most amazing Valentine's Day ever. That we magically achieved that epicly perfect balance between our little loves (kids) and our romantic love (each other). Oh what a perfect little family of 5 we are....NOT!!! Rest assured (if you're feeling any degree of jealousy set it), in reality, our day was nearly a total BOMB!!! You'd never know it from the pictures but trust me, breastfeeding while sitting at a community table in the restaurant the size of a closet, eating a messy sandwich with one hand and trying to keep Isla from making meatball mouth-prints on the clothing of our table mates with the other isn't exactly my cup of romance. Nor is braving Pike Place Market with a double BOB stroller the size of a small car (which remained for the most part empty due to the kids' desire to walk...) right during nap time. And then as a grand finale, imagine closing the evening bouncing an over-tired screaming baby for 3 hours while trying to cook and eat a romantic dinner with your spouse. Voila! And how was your Valentine's Day? Let's just say in retrospect mine didn't exactly pan out as planned.
I did somehow manage a heart-shaped Swedish pancake breakfast with raspberry jam, whipped cream and chocolate chips before preschool (and before the day fell apart). We exchanged some lovely Valentine's which the girls got a kick out of.
After Isla's preschool Valentine party, we headed downtown to begin our adventure. We changed plans at the last minute (probably our best decision all day!!!) and opted NOT to attempt a sit down pasta lunch at Il Corvo with our three hungry offspring. We're always suckers for a good sandwich at Salumi and really it didn't disappoint. Too much. I just would prefer Jack stagger his mealtimes as I ended up breastfeeding him 3 of the 4 times I sat down to eat yesterday... 
 Waiting for salami 
 A sample!
Next stop: Pike Place Market to "forage" ingredients for our fancy dinner. 
 My sweet husband insisted on forking over the marked up V-day dough for a gorgeous bouquet of tulips. I begged him not to because I was tired and cranky and wanted to go home (what's wrong with me?) but I'm glad he insisted as I sit here enjoying the cheer in a vase on my table. 
 The kids really were remarkably well behaved on our outing. But I can't even tell you how many people yesterday looked at me with Jack strapped to my chest and pushing that double stroller and said things like "God bless you!" and "Wow! Busy times!" I must have had that look in my eye (maybe under my eyes?), that unmistakable mark of utter exhaustion. 
 Upon returning home, Emma took a very late nap before we awoke her for a family trip to Starbucks. The day had left us drained so a warm cup of coffee sounded soothing and conversational. I packed leftovers so the kids could eat their dinner there (read: I didn't want to clean up after them - my second best decision all day) as Graham and I were planning our own special meal "after hours." Needless to say, things didn't go as planned. Dinner was ready by 8:30 but we didn't eat until 9:30 PM when we finally gave up our idea of a romantic dinner and just held our crying infant while eating a lovely beet salad and cold scallops. Please forgive the picture. I was breastfeeding when I took it. Again.
So there you have it! Valentine's Day 2014. We crashed in bed close to 11 PM after finally getting the babe to sleep shortly before. Needless to say, there was no time for dessert. Better luck next year! And yes, someday I'm sure we will look back and laugh. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry the day was less than perfect, but the photo's are great. I love the pic of Jack's blue eyes!

    ReplyDelete