Monday, January 19, 2009

Last night, for the first time....


....in the history of our 1 year, 10 month and 1 day marriage, WE ORDERED TAKE OUT PIZZA! I know, it's a little crazy that we've never done this before but we honestly haven't. I've made homemade pizza a number of times but we've never ordered out so this is a pretty big milestone for us. :o) I had an awful, very sad day at work (sometimes I just hate working with sick babies), plus I think I'm coming down with a cold so pizza and a movie seemed like a great mindless activity.

On a more healthful note, for Christmas, my parents gave me a gift certificate for organic produce delivery from a local farm here on the eastside. Every other week, I receive an e-mail letting me know the contents of that week's box. I think I am going to love the challenge of using up all of the produce AND trying whatever new items may be included in the box.

This week I received:

Purple Top Turnips
Hass Avocados
Garnet Yams
Broccoli
Cucumbers
Green Leaf Lettuce
Roma Tomatoes
Red Onions
Eggplant
Cameo Apples
Bosc Pears
Orlando Tangerines
Navel Oranges

I have some yummy recipes picked out for using the produce and can't wait to see how they turn out. I was a little nervous about the turnips and I think rightly so. I found a recipe for roasted turnips, sweet potatoes and apples that had been rated 5 star by other cooks but I disagree! Yuck! Neither Graham or I enjoyed it very much. If anyone has a better recipe, I'd love to try it as I'm sure this won't be the last time turnips appear in my box....

4 comments:

  1. Guess it was just the thing to do last night... I ordered pizza for Pete and I and we watched father of the bride and grubbed. :)

    as for the produce, what company is it through? Is it Spud (used to be pioneer organics)? I used to get that and it was great - you can go online and pick things you don't ever want to get so you don't waste the nasty things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy little Hass avos from a produce outlet just down the road from Azusa. 5 for $1. Also, the Roma tomatoes are 3 lbs for $1. I'm probably going to die from non-organically grown food, but its cheap and tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am getting the produce through Full Circle Farms--I did also look at Spud but kind of wanted to be challenged to try and cook new things (and I knew I wouldn't pick the oddball stuff if I had the choice). I don't want it to be a waste of money though if I don't like what I get...we'll see.

    As for your comment Scotty, I'm not necessarily a huge fan of eating organic foods (although there are a few produce items that it's recommended you buy organic)...Sounds like a great deal with the tomatoes and avocados...avocados are always at least a buck each up here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!! :) :) What a great milestone for you two! :) Hehehe...just kidding...

    It was SO great seeing you on Friday. Can we all 4 get together soon?? We'll chat elsewhere than on your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete