Thursday, October 22, 2009

October

Life's been busy and somewhat of a roller coaster the last couple weeks. I'm actually comparing where we are right now somewhat to being a newlywed. It feels almost like we're just getting to know one another again, figuring each other out and figuring out how we fit together. Last week this idea of going back to being newlyweds was completely freaking me out. It felt just that--like we were going backwards. It probably didn't help that I was down and out with the flu, AND that I didn't have a computer (and therefore no internet) while we were trying to get our video camera memory card fixed (which failed by the way....looks like I'll be getting a trip to Europe....when I'm 50). But this week it feels more exciting and fun as I anticipate what is ahead and realize I have so much still to learn about my dear husband.

It is different not being able to make it through even a short 15 minute dinner without pausing to pick up and hold a crying baby. It is an adjustment never knowing quite when you will be able to lay down and go to bed at night. It is a new thing for us to not be able to plan (or even predict!) when we will have a chunk of time to sit alone together and talk. Things are different over here but there are so many blessings in each and every change we are experiencing.

Graham is incredibly busy working full time, attending special classes at work for a new program they are rolling out, training a new nurse while preparing to train to become a charge nurse. And then on top of that he has grad school and worship leader responsibilities at church. Oh yeah. And he's a new dad. And a husband. He is doing a phenomenal job at all this!

Meanwhile, with Graham so busy, I've picked up pretty much all of the responsibilities at home to take some of the load off. This has been another reason why I'm feeling like a newlywed: I was thinking back to our honeymoon. We were sitting in the airport on our way home when I pulled out a paper and pen and we made a list of all the household chores we could think of and who would be responsible for each (who does that on a honeymoon is besides the point....) We still have that list. Actually, it's posted on the side of our fridge. Now that all the chores are MY chores, we don't really even need a list, but I think I'll be keeping the paper for memory's sake.

Anyway, this week, we are focusing on the hundreds of reasons we have to be joyful in these changes. We're figuring out some degree of balance by planning work days, homework days, family play days, date nights, social times with friends and quiet times at home. And it's really working out well for me (this first week that we've tried it)... Having our expectations laid out for one another has been oh so helpful. I'm sure there are many more adjustments ahead but I'm so thankful for our life right now and hopefully for the next 3 years to come!

1 comment:

  1. I love the chore list Kelsie, it kind of reminds me of the family chore list you had on the fridge growing up. Is that where you got the idea. HeHe. I do most all of the chores around our house too. Matt has a hard time doing any chores when he is deployed and lately he has been working so many hours when he is home that he only has about an hour of time between coming home from work and going to bed, so I try to make the house nice and relaxing for him. It can be a bit of a challenge with a wild one year old dog. Right now Matt's only chore is taking out the trash for me because everytime I try and do it I get so sick and I'll tell you what, garbage gets stinkier a lot faster here than in Washington.

    ReplyDelete