Monday, October 12, 2009

WHAT??!

So Isla and I just returned from a fabulous weekend away with my parents visiting my brother in Pullman. More details and photos will follow in a later post but I just had to share the following conversation that I overheard while at the Cougar game. Let me set the scene: it was during halftime. The marching band was performing in full attire and the dance team was doing a little number to the music.

Mother to her 16 month old daughter: "See honey (pointing). You want to be one of those dance girls when you get older. But you don't want to be one of the band girls............(pause)............because they are chubby. See the skinny dance girls? Aren't they pretty? We don't want to be one of those big band girls. They look so funny in their outfits."

UNBELIEVABLE!! I'm telling you, my jaw dropped and looked over at my brother to see if he had also heard the conversation (which he had). Honestly people! How shallow can we get? I actually wrote a paper on this in college--all about how a mother's attitude about food, dieting and body image can affect her daughter. I cannot believe this woman was filling her toddler's mind with this garbage. I'm still shaking my head...

2 comments:

  1. That is SO absurd!! I resent that woman's comment (I'm sure you predicted me saying that!) I'm glad you found it utterly ridiculous as well. :) I look forward to talking to you ASAP!! I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's just amazing. But so true.











    JUST KIDDING!!!!! :P

    ReplyDelete