Tuesday, February 23, 2010

26 Weeks

Our poor little Isla has caught something. She's had a runny nose for the past week and a half but then started coughing on Sunday. It sounds so miserable but she remains in fairly good spirits, if not a wee bit subdued. She stopped cuddling with me a long while ago and so I'm hopeful I will have the chance to snuggle her in the next couple days and NOT have her fight and pull her head off my shoulder.

This seems to be the week of new sounds. Isla's latest include a very high puppy-whining or cat meowing sound she makes with her mouth closed. She does it when she is unhappy and the pitch of it also makes her mamma unhappy. Graham has a key-finder contraption that is supposed to beep when you whistle for it. It has been going off when Isla whines--her new sound is that high!
Isla has started making humming sounds when she is excited or enjoying herself. I've noticed that she especially begins humming when I take her outside in the frontpack. It's like she's absorbing everything around her and the humming is the sound effect of her brain processing.

Isla went on her first hike on Sunday afternoon. We hiked up to Rattlesnake Ledge with our friends Jeremey and Rachel and their dog Clover. I carried Isla on my back on the way up and on my front so she could nap on the way down. It was a 1.9 mile hike each way so it was on the easier end to break us in. It was actually quite steep but certainly doable. She loved it and hummed pretty much the whole way up.

My mom discovered that Isla likes it when you hold your pointer and thumb together and make buzzing sounds, pretending it is a bee flying around. Talk about cheap entertainment! She will literally track your fingers as they "fly" around and tries to bat at them. Crack up!
Isla is doing really well with her sit up practice. She's probably sat up for a minute straight once or twice but then there are also times when she falls after two seconds. I can tell she's really building muscle in her core though.

I think our little baby is ready to be a big girl. She saw her Daddy's empty drinking glass and literally almost threw herself out of his arms to try and grab it. When he finally gave in and handed it to her, she grabbed it with both hands, immediately brought it to her lips and tipped her head back to "drink." Whoa. She's been watching us!

This may sort of go along with the bee thing. I accidently discovered that Isla seems to like to sound of the letter "B" this week. I was reading her a book of "Baby's First Words" with picture on each page. Watch and see. She doesn't find any other word to be funny except for the ones that start with "B." Oh and notice her extra special grin when I say the word "Boy." :o)

1 comment:

  1. that hat is awesome. :)

    I need to get the next size of clothes to you! There's tons of 6 month in there and that reminds me that I need to mark things in that bin, maybe I'll do that soon and then I can get them to you. :)

    ReplyDelete