Thursday, February 18, 2010

France?

Graham told me yesterday that I'm all over the place. It's probably true. As Isla's passport photos indicated (which by the way, we didn't even get to use because they said her head was too big!!), we are toying with the idea of doing a wee bit of traveling either next month or in June during Graham's school breaks. I have the itch. At first we were thinking of running off to Mexico for 4-5 nights in March if we could find a cheap, all-inclusive deal in a touristy area (SOOOOO not like me to eat all my meals in one place and to go a touristy local). But, I was dying for sunshine. And a beach. And some time away. It is going to be our 3rd anniversary after all.

Then Graham suggested that we fly to France instead during his 3 week break in June. Sounds nice, huh? What's even more shocking is that he suggested we go in HIGH season when everything is EXPENSIVE. What happened to my thrifty man? (He told me, that as of Sunday, he's no longer cheap...) How on earth would we afford this you ask? Good question! I'm not quite sure, to be honest. After doing a little research, it's looking more pricey than I'd hoped. Thankfully, Uncle Sam is being very good to us this year and our tax return is looking lovely so there still is a sliver of a chance...My logical side says "Put it in savings for a down payment on a house" but when you think about it, is it ever really going to be cheaper to do this? I mean, right now we could fly with Isla FOR FREE. We could still stay in rooms that sleep two. It's pretty much go now or wait 15 years until our yet-to-be-determined number of children are all weaned and safe to leave with the grandparents.

Anyway, so I've spent numerous hours on cheaptickets, travelzoo, expedia, rick steves etc etc, looking for deals. I keep looking at Mexico in March and then change my mind and look at France in June. Then go back. Hence Graham's accusation that I'm all over the place. I'm having a hard time being willing to pay the high season prices in France. But it'd be so fun...

I took a brief survey at work. Of all two people I surveyed, the concensus was unanimous that we should blow our entire tax return and JUST DO IT! So, a question: have you traveled to France? What itinerary might you recommend? Any favorite places to stay? Tips? Maybe you can help sway me...

7 comments:

  1. Spain in june? That's what Kyle & I might do.... Good luck deciding! I've only been to paris and it was 13 years ago, so no real help. I personally would go to provence I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think you should go on an exotic vacation to Princeton, NJ...but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go go go!! I don't know anything about where to go in France, but if you have the time and money, take advantage and get your baby used to traveling by doing it!

    And then post a follow up trip report - but remember, to please your readers, report on the whole trip instead of getting too busy and not finding the time to post the last part (which was likely the best part) like I did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or could you do France in March? Definitely go to the Loire Valley - it's got little chateaus and castles everywhere through it and it's close to Paris. Paris was not my favourite city, and while I haven't gotten to go to Normandy, I would recommend it if you're interested in WWII history - my Dad and brother have been 2-3 times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would it sway you if Glendon and I came with you to France? We are considering a trip to Europe soon. And I have family friends in Lyon. I'm just saying ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hate to be the nay sayer, but traveling with a small child will have you up 24 hours a day. They dont adjust to time changes. I remember taking John to east coast and having to get up at 4 in the am cause he would wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to France, so I can offer no wisdom on that front, other than you should go! However, I ran into Graham at church on Sunday & he did a great job leading worship! Sad that we missed you and Isla though!

    ReplyDelete