Tuesday, April 6, 2010

32 Weeks

Isla has really started to HATE getting dressed. She whines about having to lay there on the changing table and will only stop when I sit her up. As soon as I do, she begins franctically grabbing anything she can from her basket of changing supplies before I inevitably ruin her fun and make her lie back down. I honestly think she knows she has to be sly and quick about it if she wants any chance at getting her hands on that diaper rash cream.

All of a sudden, this past Thursday, Isla started making syllable sounds!! Her new go-to sounds very much like Da-Da but I don't think she associates it with Graham just yet. I've also heard a few La-La-Las and Na-Nas. These new sounds have made my week!


Isla was introduced to acorn squash and broccoli (which I mixed with sweet potato to tame it down a bit) this week. Even I thought the broccoli/potato mix tasted unappetizing but she's eating it without complaint.

Okay people, here's my chance to vent. We are having sleep issues again. Isla's been consistantly needing one binkie plug/night for quite some time now. I kept saying that "I'll only plug her tonight. We'll teach her to soothe herself another night." Uh huh. So that hasn't happened. I got excited because there were 4 nights in a row where she didn't wake up until feeding time around 5 AM so I thought the problem was solved but now it's back in full force. Even worse actually. I'm getting up far too many times to "plug her" and feeling quite exhausted as a result. And I think we may have done just what we were trying to avoid: formed a habit. Ugggg. I think I'll go book a couple nights in a hotel until it's all over and we let her figure it out on her own. Okay, just kidding. But seriously, now I don't know what to do. I took a coworker's suggestion and put 7 or 8 binkies in the bed in hopes that she'll find one on her own without me having to get up. Hasn't happened. (But I will say that I spied on her yesterday and saw her grab one all by herself during one of her nap attempts so I think she CAN do it). Any tips?

Daytime sleep has been rough too, at least for the past couple days. Isla is a super light sleeper. I mean, I can't even open the cupboard door in the guest bath next to her room without her waking up. She's also a major party girl. We've found Sundays to be the worst because church falls right in the middle of her nap time. She won't sleep in the nursery because she knows she's missing something fun. After a horrible night on Sunday followed by another bad day on Monday (because Isla refused to sleep), I think I decided I'm just gonna have to quite volunteering in the nursery for now so that I can get her home to nap ASAP after church. It seems crazy that it can throw a kid off this much but it CAN.
NO TEETH YET....still suspicious that they are on the way though.

I keep forgetting to mention that Isla started holding toys while twisting her wrist. She pulls out this twisty wrist move all the time and seems to be really entertained by it. That's it for now!

2 comments:

  1. How is it possible that she already has the beautiful eyebrows that you and Lani both have?! Seriously. If she gets your eyelashes too, I'll be eternally jealous! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids both had sleep troubles around this age. By the time they were eating lots of solid foods (8 mos probably), I finally just let them cry when they woke up in the middle of the night. First time is the worst, second time is really short and then it was over - they've both slept well through the night ever since, better than most kids we know. I was very reluctant to do the crying thing, but it was much easier in the middle of the night when I didn't really want to get up and was drowsy enough to not be a basket case. Good luck, whatever route you take! (ps. they napped better after I did it too.)

    ReplyDelete