Tuesday, January 25, 2011

17 Months

Isla is our curly-headed, busy girl who seems to have an attention span comparable to that of a potato bug (they don't stop for anything...have you noticed?) The other day Graham showed her a new way to play with a toy and she stuck with it for FIVE WHOLE MINUTES! We both almost fell over.

Needless to say, we've discovered some great ways for her to burn off some energy. I purchased a few storage tubs with the intention of doing some New Year's organizing but I never did put one of them away. It is now filled with all sorts of household items as Isla loves to push it around and "shop" in my drawers, cupboards and shelves. If ever I'm missing anything (like my wire whisk, the remote control, my cell), it can likely be found in her tub. Today I came home from grocery shopping and before I knew it, she was off with one of the paper bags, toting it around and filling it with toys. Collecting seems to be her game of choice right now.
Isla is also really into toys where she can put shapes in and then take them out. My parents have a couple of these kinds of toys and she just can't get enough of them.

She seems to be more and more focused on getting things just right. The other day, for instance, she was trying to sit her ducky at my parents' kid-sized coloring table. Ducky kept leaning over and it was obviously very frustrating for her. She was not satisfied until my mom or I propped Ducky up just right. Oh dear! I think we have a mini-me.
Lest we forget, she has a whopping 2 teeth now! The second one (bottom left) made it's first appearance on New Years Eve. Ha, even Isla likes holidays! I'm convinced that is the only time she gets teeth. The first one on Halloween, the 2nd on New Years Eve.... I'm pretty sure the 3rd will appear any day now but I'm just hoping she doesn't hold out until Valentine's as these nighttime wakenings and poor napping have got to go.

Sadly our near-perfect sleep routine seems to be ending. I'm thankful though because we've had a good schedule going since September (4 months!) I was always told I shouldn't cling to my routine because it wouldn't last but this one stayed much longer than anticipated! I can't quite figure out what is going on now but naps have been rough, particularly in the afternoon. We're back to lots of crying and some complete refusals to sleep (and therefore a very cranky girl and moderately cranky mommy). I thought maybe this meant Isla was ready to transition to one nap but we've been working on that this week and it has resulted in a VERY short single nap so I don't know if we're quite there. She completely falls apart without her morning nap (except on occasions when she gets to skip it and play with other kiddos such as at MOPS). I'm gonna blame this one on teeth. Thankfully, she still goes down without fuss at 6:30 PM every night.
Isla's vocabulary continues to expand tremendously. New words this month include: "key," "pa-pa" (pasta), "shoe," "seat," "che-che" (cheerios), "uh oh" (somes uh uh uh oh oh), "beep," "more," and my personal favorite, "please."

We've started watching Isla's cousin Gideon twice a month and Isla LOVES it. She gets so excited when she wakes up in the morning to find that he is here. "BABY!!!!" is how she usually greets him. Although she loves him to death, sometimes I'm not sure which she is more excited to see, the baby or his carseat. She loves trying to fasten Ducky or her dolls into his seat and sometimes even tries to climb in it herself (she is obsessed with fastening straps right now). Isla is already showing signs of being a great babysitter. She'll hear Gideon crying, run to him, and then run back to me, as if to tell me that he's crying. It's pretty sweet to watch.
After my previous blog post, I'm sure we're all well-aware that discipline has been the hot topic around here. Thanks all for your advice! Love and Logic is actually the one parenting book that we had already purchased so we're looking forward to applying some of those ideas along with timeouts.

Isla has a new fascination with cars. She likes to stand up on her changing table before bed (while hanging onto me) and watch for headlights coming up the road. She gets so excited when she sees some and yells "Car!" Then the other night she said "Car!" and then added "Da-da!" because she knows we usually wait for him to come home from work in his car. Pretty cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment